Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 21-05-2003 , 02:29 PM

I finnaly got Maya 5

Got maya 5 at work! Thought that I would show you an example of the vecor render using Chris's Cyber Dog from his tutorial, took about 15 sec to render!
brian

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 2 21-05-2003 , 03:05 PM
Subscriber
Wow, that's insane!

Looks great Brian. For work? you got a job?

George

God Bless you and 3D
# 3 21-05-2003 , 03:16 PM
Hey. That is a cool effect, what exactly is a vector render though.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 4 21-05-2003 , 03:20 PM
Lol, Gotta love that vector render right Brian?

# 5 21-05-2003 , 03:22 PM
yeah, I kind of have a job, i work for a engineering company as the lead animator, but I just animate how their units are put together, mainly a bunch of piping....user added image but its better then nothing. I still don't consider myself in the industry yet... What exactly is vector? Not sure what the exact term is, but by using vector you can render swf (flash) files. user added image
Brian

Yeah Adl, I have been waiting for a decent maya vector render for a few years, its great for technical illistrations, and it creates really small files.

Please check
My (old) website!
# 6 21-05-2003 , 03:35 PM

Originally posted by brian_ellebracht
... What exactly is vector? Not sure what the exact term is, but by using vector you can render swf (flash) files. user added image

This is a copy of a vector explanation I made sometime ago. Since I couldn´t find the thread itself I just looked for the backup in my box. I´ll be sure to edit it if I find it.
It should help you out though.

In Graphic Design -and imagery in general- you have two types of images, bitmaps and vector graphics.
  • Bitmaps are images composed of a pixel reticule, in which each pixel has a RGB value, thus creating a big mosaic of pixels. This mosaic when seen from a distance -In reality this is resolution dependant- form an image. If you resample a bitmap image to a higher size, since you can´t invent information from nothing you´ll notice the mosaic nature of these images.
    A perfect example of bitmaps imagery is found here in SM, as all the images are bitmap-type.
    Bitmaps editing applications are your common photo image editors, such as PhotoImpact, MS Paint, and the industry standard Adobe Photoshop.
  • Vector Graphics are images created by the use of mathematical formulas -thus the vector name, as they are governed by these mathematical principles-, which is why these are resolution independant. At whatever resolution you see them, they´ll look the same.
    These images can be seen in almost all the articles you have in your kitchen, house, car ... etc. They offer versatility in almost all aplications, they´re even used throughout the web -Flash images are vector based animations compressed for delivery on the Web-. Editing these images is quite similar to playing with curves in Maya, since the Bezier principles are almost the same -I say almost since I don´t know if Maya uses another type of mathematical curve-
    Most common vector editing applications are CorelDraw, Freehand, Flash ... and again an industry standard, Adobe´s Illustrator.
When you render an image in Maya, you´re actually rendering a bitmap image. Although this works perfectly for screen-delivered ads, movies etc, it starts to get cumbersome when used in printing industry -Since vector delivered images are easier to work with when printing and offer generally better results-. With all this said, you can see why vector rendering in Maya is spreading some ripples throughout the industry. This would make Maya work more or less for everybody, including ... us. Graphic Designers.

Some resources:
InfoNotes: Raster vs. Vector Images
Project Cool´s Graphic Zone

This should help some, user added image