Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 14-02-2006 , 11:04 PM

How would you start to make a Model of this.

This is something I drew and I would like to start modeling it 3D How would you start? Would you do it the same way that Kurt did the dog tutorial? [IMG]user added image[/IMG]

# 2 14-02-2006 , 11:35 PM
Well I wouldn't use nurbs for modeling this, so no I wouldn't use Kurt's methode.
the most common way people model heads/humans/humanoids is via polygons and further tweaking with sub-d's. There are tons of head-modeling tutorials out there, have a search on google.

I wouldn't recommend trying to model this particular image really, certainley if you are just starting out with modeling.
You might want to sketch out a front/side view of your charahter and start from there, model the character/gun etc..
Rig the charachter and pose her the way you want.

So sorry to burst the bubble here, but you have a very looong way ahead of you if you want to model this image from skratch.. Good luck user added image

edit: gender issue :p

# 3 14-02-2006 , 11:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I know people have different ways of how they start a certain project. I just want to see different opinions on how they would use it and why. Like why would you use polygons and not nurbs? Thanks for the reply and your right I know I have a loooooooong way's to go. Maybe someday thoughuser added image

# 4 15-02-2006 , 12:30 AM
Well you would use nurbs to make smooth objects like fancy cars, I think. I wouldn't know really what people use nurbs for these days, I'm a newb too so I guess for simple objects, who don't need the level of control you require with poly/sub-d modeling.
People used to use nurbs to do organic modeling afaik, but with the introduction of sub-d's people switched over to polygonal modeling, since this form of modeling allows more control than nurbs modeling, but still has the same quality.