Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 29-01-2003 , 12:44 AM

Everyone one fell free to contribute

I have heard there are different ways. But, how on earth can I make a tube. Like a cylender with the top and bottom cut out.

Yet, i want it to have volume. Not a cylinder with the tops cut off, because that has no thinkness. I've tried streaching a torus, but that becomes very messy.

How do you guys do it? (Aka the barral of a gun)

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 2 29-01-2003 , 01:42 AM
Try making a cylinder....make it the size you want then duplicate it and make the duplicate one smaller by ratio......then loft the curves at the end.......

Hope that works.....I don't have maya installed right now....I am having issues with my computer.....hopefully in the next week or so user added image

# 3 29-01-2003 , 01:46 AM
Subscriber
Or you could boolean. Another way would be to extrude one of the top faces inward, then extrude again downward.

# 4 29-01-2003 , 01:52 AM
Booleans would work.

Make a cylinder, size it and place it when you want the hole to be. (if it's a gun, place the cylinder down the barrel)

Then hold shift and select the cutting tool, then the object you want cut. In your case the cutting tool is the cylinder.

Then go to Polygons>Booleans>Differance.

You'll see the cutting tool (the cylinder) disappear but you can still move/size it.

and there you have your tube.

let me know it if helps

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 29-01-2003 at 01:55 AM.
# 5 29-01-2003 , 01:57 AM
One way would be to make a polygon cylinder the size of the gun barrel. Then, duplicate and resize the copy for however thick you want it. Select both cylinders and go polygons --> booleans --> difference.

If you want to do it with NURBS, you could create two concentric NURBS circles in the front view (one within the other defining the width of the barrel), then extrude each circle. In the extrude option box, you'll have to choose distance and how long you want it and the axis. Do that for each circle, then shift select the end isoparms for each inner and outer circle at the ends of each cylinder and do a planar trim to fill the barrel space. Delete history and group it.

EDIT: Ack! Everyone chimed in while I was writing. user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 6 29-01-2003 , 02:13 AM
loft?

DIFFERENCE DID IT. YAY!

Thanks gus. thats been holing me back so

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 7 29-01-2003 , 02:22 AM
Wow. I have been playing around. It makes like so much easyer. Thanks a billion. (mtmckinley, that may be something you wanna tut on)

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 8 30-01-2003 , 12:29 AM
thanks guys for the walkthrough on this. I was wondering the same thing.