Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-10-2009 , 01:02 AM

some noob questions-please help me

-this is somewhat urgent-

i've used maya before, but i always had someone to ask about sht i dont know. now i dont so please help me!

1. when i turn on face selection, i have to click on a tiny dot in the middle of the face in order to select it. how can i select the face by clicking anywhere in the face?

2. where is the "snap to grid" option?

3(and last). when i select an object, at the bottom only that object's keyframes show. how do i get all the keyframes to show there?

# 2 03-10-2009 , 01:11 AM
Answers to your questions....

1: Windows> Settings/Preferences> Preferences> Selection> Polygon Selection (Check box "Select faces with" to "Whole Face"

2: Just below The top menu bar theres a little icon of a grid with a magnet, or you can use the hotkey x (hold down)

3: Not so sure if theres another way, but you could try right clicking on nothing and doing "Select all", that should show all keyframes, though you won't be able to tell which is which anyway as they'll all show up in red...

Hope that helps!

# 3 03-10-2009 , 01:39 AM
dude thank you so much! you answered my last thread mad fast, and this one.. anywho, thanks

# 4 03-10-2009 , 01:44 AM
# 5 03-10-2009 , 03:48 AM
hey i had another problem arise. since your smart thought you'd know what to do.

anywho, i created a polyshape by bollean:union-ing 4 polygon shapes. and now when i copy all the shapes separate! like so user added image

whadda do?

# 6 03-10-2009 , 05:13 AM
EduSciVis-er
Looks like you've got double transforming going on (I think that's whatcha call it). Anyway, delete the history on your mesh. I wouldn't really recommend booleans to do that sort of thing and it looks like your meshes are heavier than necessary (reduce the number of subdivisions at the beginning). But definitely keep experimenting and practicing!

# 7 03-10-2009 , 05:42 AM
and how do i clear "teh histrorie"?

# 8 03-10-2009 , 10:14 AM
Subscriber
edit > delete > history (or all history)

# 9 03-10-2009 , 07:40 PM
thanks a lot! one last problem though.

when i select a shtload of polygon shapes and drag(with mmb) a texture on them from hypershade it only applies it to one of them. how do i get it to apply the texture to all?

thx in advance to all the smart people for helping:p

# 10 03-10-2009 , 07:48 PM
actually, i already got it. thanx anyway!user added image

# 11 04-10-2009 , 03:47 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by busya
and how do i clear "teh histrorie"?

i'd like to add to tweety's answer that the short cut is alt + shift + d (although i dont remember if i set that up myself)

also, rather than using copy-paste you should use edit > duplicate or edit > duplicate special
(short cut ctrl + d and ctrl + shift + d)
that way your objects don't get prefixed with the "pasted__" string but rather the number gets incremented at the end of the string
(ie, duplicating polySphere01 results in polySphere02)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 12 04-10-2009 , 03:57 PM
EduSciVis-er
Ohh.. so that's how people get pasted_ stuff. I saw someone's scene once that had an object called pasted_pasted_pasted_pasted_pasted_pasted_pCube01 :p

...and yeah, I think the shortcut is there by default.