Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 14-10-2010 , 08:29 AM

Help with mesh smooth

Hello everybody!
At my study we've gotten as an assignment to model a teddy bear, but I have some problems when I apply mest smooth to the object. I'm using an instant duplication of the one half of my object, so when the mesh smooth is applied, the original and diplicated object i smoothing individually like you can see below:
user added image user added image
What have I done wrong? >.<

# 2 14-10-2010 , 10:54 AM
Lifetime Member
I dont know to much about instance but from what I have experimented with...the instance is an entity on its own...so techinally you have 2 objects so to speak. So when you smooth...although they appear attached (1 mesh) they arent...so Maya will pull it out as 2 meshes. I do it the long way....combine...merge verts then smooth....then back to smooth 1 and delete the half..then copy again...or just CTRL Z. Maybe some one else knows how to smooth them as they are. Sorry I couldnt be more help mate.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 14-10-2010 , 11:00 AM
The thin red line
I think you have done a extrude and not deleted the extra polys that were created at the edge, try not to smooth with polys but press the 3 button that should show up the polys I am talking about delete them then snap the verts to the axes you are working in........hope that makes sence.............dave

# 4 14-10-2010 , 05:13 PM
Thanks guys it helped deleting those extra polys that i had created in the middle

# 5 14-10-2010 , 08:21 PM
Subscriber
you can void such things by making sure all faces are quads and planar (or close to)

looks like you need an edge loop right down the middle of your mesh

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D