Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 14-05-2011 , 11:47 PM

What would be the best way to get an eyeball to pop out of a head

Yes I know it sounds disgusting, actually the render looks disgusting too...which is just what I wanted. But I was wondering if any one could help me in solving the best way to get a an eyeball to fall out it's socket and dangle. I don't mind keying the animation but thought dynamics may help to get the initial fall. Was thinking of may some sort of hair or ncloth on the optic nerve but I don't really know where to start. If anyone knows of any good tutorials they could point me too I'd much appreciate it.

Pete B

# 2 15-05-2011 , 05:52 AM
EduSciVis-er
I would use a screwdriver personally....

No seriously, you could try putting several bones in the nerve and use a splineIK setup, while keying the eyeball on the end. Hope that helps.

# 3 15-05-2011 , 08:07 PM
Yeah that sounds like a good place to start, if not I'll go with the screw driver user added image

Many thanks

Pete B

# 4 16-05-2011 , 06:56 AM
For the "pop" as it comes out of the socket I would sue something like a lattice to defoem the shape of the eyeball to "pop" it from the socket.

Or use something like Ncloth, make the eyeball a cloth with a preset like the beach ball and the head a passive. Parent the eye to a locator then aimatate the locator to pull out of the head. A mess about with the settings should get you to have something like what your after using dynamics.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 23-05-2011 , 05:49 PM
Hey gster.

Thanks for the tips. Here is the finished version https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35704

I did use a lattice to give the eye some squash and stretch and it worked really well. I ended up just going with FK (just bone chain) for the optic nerve. Just hand keyed. I find sometimes I can spend a whole day just trying to get dynamics to work when a bit of hand keying does the job just as well..if not better.

Thanks for your advice

Pete B