Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 12-10-2011 , 02:33 AM

Maya smooth preview help

Just practicing some high poly modeling but im having issues with creating smoothed holes on a angle.
As you can see in the middle picture, the holes are smoothed but are giving the suface bumps.
And thoughts?

Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 12-10-2011 , 04:10 AM
EduSciVis-er
I'm fairly sure ctbram has done a couple thorough and helpful replies and tutorials on this. Can't locate them at the moment, but give a search, or I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.

# 3 12-10-2011 , 04:13 AM
Thanks Stwert, I was searching for them myself...

I explored putting holes in cylinders a couple years ago. The idea was to create the clean topology in a plane and then use the bend deformer to roll it into a cylinder.

Here is a link to the thread.

https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33378

There are a couple of video links in there that demonstrate the process.

I made a couple versions as I explored different ways to lay out the topology. These were made a couple years ago and I was just figuring out how to use camtasia and they were not meant to be polished in any way.

Here is a topology that has a punched hole affect...

maya holes in cylinder tut wNarration - YouTube

This is a method that produces a more uniform drilled and smooth affect...

hole in cyl tut2 web - YouTube

and here is a muzzle break example that uses a boolean approach ...

muzzle and heat sync final - YouTube

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 13-10-2011 at 12:04 AM.
# 4 13-10-2011 , 12:30 AM
Thanks guys! I was thinking maybe a bend deformer or somethink like that. *though i havent used it before.
When i get a chance ill post my results.

Thanks again.