Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 21-05-2005 , 01:57 AM
Subscriber

Knight in shining (or black, havent decided yet) armor

Hey, im doing a model for my summer camp im going to. If you look at my "summer camp" thread it should pretty much sum everything up. I am right now venturing into the 'low poly' world and decided to do a knight. Well, I need some C&C and I have alot of the pix and stuff below. But I need to ask two questions, well actually ones a favor and one is a question. The question is whether or not 6.5 scenes can be put into earlier versions of maya, I have no fluids or cloth or fur or anything like that, mainly just modeling. And the favor is for someone to check out my thread on summer camps and get the mel scripting for formatting the maya scene into the game software format. It will not work on 6.5 for me so I need someone with an earlier version. But if you have 6.5 and want to try, feel free to help out.

Thx, and plz help a desperate stupid loser,
-Ryan

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 21-05-2005 , 02:00 PM
Subscriber
Hello everyone, this model isnt going as I expected, so I am asking for anyone who knows any good knight modeling tutorials to help me out. I am now trying to do this tutorial and then just add armor to him when im finished.

https://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorial...enmathis_1.asp

# 3 21-05-2005 , 04:05 PM
Subscriber
Hum, already been on a day and only 20 views? Oh well, guess Ill just have to wait, but anyways, here are some updates on my first knight atempt. Plz give some crit, and if you have any suggestions on what to do, then im all ears. I also would like to know about the poly count, since it is for a game I am supposed to be looking at the tris, right? And also about the textures, what resolution should I use and how does it affect the model bigness? Like file size and stuff.

Thx 2 all, and 2 all a good night.
-RYan

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 21-05-2005 , 09:29 PM
Do not use booline if you dont want to sped time fixing up your topology, i am thinking on helmet!

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

Sorry for bad English, See ya
dead mosquito-blog-on english too
# 5 21-05-2005 , 09:43 PM
Subscriber
Oh, thx, so booleans are a no? What do you mean by fixing up your topology? And WILL SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME GOOD PIX ON A DARK KNIGHT? I am desperate, the bestest thing that would have ever happened to me would be for someone to draw me a dark knight (not to detailed) in a T pose and with fine distinct lines that I could use for a reference pic. PLeaSE HELP ME SO MUCH, I AM BORED OUT OF MY MIND LOOKING FOR A GOOD REF PIC. :headbang:

# 6 22-05-2005 , 01:37 AM
When modeling a model for a game the topology are even MORE important than for a hires model. You should distribute the faces evenly and where they are needed the most (face). The legs has far to many faces for example.

And think quad faces... and then maybe, depending on the game engine, convert them to tri faces.

# 7 22-05-2005 , 01:46 AM
Subscriber
Yes, the game engine does require tris, but that really is the least of my problems now. But thanks for answering though. What I am really focusing on is getting good ref images. PLz someone help me!

# 8 22-05-2005 , 07:29 AM
I can't believe you aren't able yourself to type into google 'knight' and pick a picture that helps you. It shouldnt be too hard.
Anyway, here's something I found; it's a bit cartoon-like, but I think you can use it well for proportions and all.
Keep it up!

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 22-05-2005 , 09:43 AM
Your model is not symmetric, you need to model only one side, fix all of that funny looking faces by deleting some edges and stuff like that, and you must think about count of polys because you have too many of them, most of your model will be textured so the detail will be fake.

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

# 10 22-05-2005 , 03:46 PM
Subscriber
Hey, thanks everyone for the help. Especially the ref pic, the only thing is, I HAVE LOOKED ON GOOGLE FOR SOME. I guess I was looking for to specific of an image. I was using the one posted below as a ref. But I guess it didint come out so well. I am kinda having trouble modeling free hand without a straight forward example. Any suggestions on that? But anyways, if someone could draw me one in a T pose, that would be fantastic, but that may be to much to do.

Attached Images
# 11 22-05-2005 , 08:43 PM
Subscriber
I think if you save the file as a *.MA and then open it in notepad, you should find a line near the top saying maya 6.5. Change this to your version and providing you don't have anything in your scene that your version doesn't have it should open. But i've never tried it so i don't know if it does work.

# 12 22-05-2005 , 09:16 PM
I was using that method for a long time because at my faculty we were using maya 5.0 and I had 6.0. It worked quite ok, only sometimes, with more complicated models, maya 5 didn't understand 6 anymore. But as long as you keep your modelling clean and all, I think it should work.

# 13 22-05-2005 , 09:17 PM
Dude, you do know that you can get better shapes with NURBS and curves then just Bevel? Use lofts and stuff, it helps in combination with polygonal modeling too.Oh, by the way, model looks great, you may want to assign a dark Blinn material with very bright specular color to improve visibility and to add on with the effect. Good work, keep it up!

,Matt user added image

# 14 22-05-2005 , 09:45 PM

Originally posted by MattTheMan
Dude, you do know that you can get better shapes with NURBS and curves then just Bevel? Use lofts and stuff, it helps in combination with polygonal modeling too.Oh, by the way, model looks great, you may want to assign a dark Blinn material with very bright specular color to improve visibility and to add on with the effect. Good work, keep it up!

,Matt user added image

He is modeling for games so he must use polygons, loft and trims are not cool at all since when you want to animate something that have been trimmed it stat tripin and messing up... Nurbs are cool for beginning of modeling but for me everything in the end finish converted to polys and then in sub-d. Nurbs are really hard for beginners and I don’t think that anyone who is new to Maya try to model something complex with Nurbs because he will end up disappointed and frustrated

# 15 22-05-2005 , 09:53 PM

Originally posted by MattTheMan

,Matt user added image

He is modeling for games so he must use polygons, loft and trims are not cool at all since when you want to animate something that have been trimmed it stat tripin and messing up... Nurbs are cool for beginning of modeling but for me everything in the end finish converted to polys and then in sub-d. Nurbs are really hard for beginners and I don’t think that anyone who is new to Maya try to model something complex with Nurbs because he will end up disappointed and frustrated