Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 23-06-2003 , 12:36 PM
Subscriber

webcounter

this is a little lousy webcounter done in maya - does not look as good as other countes on the web, but at least it is selfmade. it might have been even easier not to do it in 3d, but in 2d to begin with. also i wanted it to look better, but not worth the effort - compromise between look and filesize was hindering. you can see it in action on my homepape - now it actually has maya related content - but only the counter user added image

Attached Images
# 2 23-06-2003 , 02:42 PM
hmm... a counter you say? but your counter doesnt count anything... could this be a problem perhaps? user added image

# 3 23-06-2003 , 05:38 PM
Subscriber
no it is intended that it does not actually "work". it is an understatement to show how i dont like them counters.

so to say it is a fake counter that only pretends to be user added image

# 4 23-06-2003 , 08:20 PM
... im really really confused at what your trying to get at...

# 5 23-06-2003 , 11:08 PM
Simply Maya OG
I think its neat user added image

- Hybrid
# 6 24-06-2003 , 01:14 AM
Subscriber
thanks hybrid for the support - glad at least one likes it. user added image

and dbrider, if you get confused, that is on purpose. you see the counter and think - oh one of them counters - lets see if i am visitor 11 or even 12 - oh no it is not telling me - it it does not tell me why is it there. and that is exactly the reason why it is there user added image

# 7 24-06-2003 , 01:29 AM
user added image

# 8 24-06-2003 , 07:47 AM
but in this case i would let the number change slower... that if you look once you think wow i'm visitor number 678677554 and if you look a second time it's only showing 7...

# 9 26-06-2003 , 01:44 AM
Subscriber
I love it! Wanna know why ducky? Cause it is way off on the right, and you're thinkin "hmm what is that moving pink thing on the right" then you look at it and say "oh its a counter, i've seen these, they spin and its all cool then it stops and shows you an approximate size of the site" but it didn't stop. It wasn't funny until i figured out that it WAS finished and not just awaiting programming.

My point is that i don't like the fact that it confused me, but more that i like the fact it did what it was supposed to, and i didn't even know it!! I love getting my mind messed with, it opens me and and allows me to see more......

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 10 26-06-2003 , 10:34 PM
Subscriber
yea babyduck, this is nice! I have seen the same thing before but instead its numbers flying SUPER fast.. i like the speed you have. If it was faster though with some blur to it, you could make people think that its going up for real. If you go too slow, your animation after a while will just loop and go back to normal and that can be caught by the eye really easily. Nice job user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 11 27-06-2003 , 07:26 AM
Subscriber
thanks for the feedback user added image

Originally posted by Vectorman

My point is that i don't like the fact that it confused me, but more that i like the fact it did what it was supposed to, and i didn't even know it!! I love getting my mind messed with, it opens me and and allows me to see more......

that is great it served its purpose. everybody can do with a good laugh. you expect it to stop, but it does not. maybe my "you can see it in action on my homepape" was a bit mean. :p

Originally posted by M
yea babyduck, this is nice! ... If you go too slow, your animation after a while will just loop and go back to normal and that can be caught by the eye really easily. Nice job user added image.

i was going for a loop that could play endless. but i did not plan that the left wheel jumps at one point. and it looks like it changes rotation direction. i figured that i leave it that way as it makes it harder to notice it is just 15 frames for the loop. the movement of the wheels is too complex for the eye to obviously see it is looping - even if i only used 2 differant speeds and 2 directions. as for the motion blur: motion blur only works if you have at least 17 fps, so the eye adds the single frames to a motion. if framerate is slower it is just like a blurry slide show. and gif does not really allow to have pr colors. filesize was another issue - the more realism and better look you want, the bigger the file has to be - and for about 20 kb it is good enough for me.

thanks

# 12 30-06-2003 , 03:04 AM
Baby duck... I like the image of the cathedral and the bridge. Looks Maya worthy.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu

Last edited by dave_baer; 30-06-2003 at 03:06 AM.
# 13 30-06-2003 , 04:27 AM
Subscriber
motion blur has to be 17 fps? Thats cool.. learned something new today user added image. Well, actually learnt a few things.. anyways, i will keep that in mind user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 14 30-06-2003 , 09:57 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by M
motion blur has to be 17 fps? Thats cool.. learned something new today

aehm M, dont take it as a definite answer. it is just that about 17 fps is the border where the brain starts to put the frames together as motion. below 17 fps it is similiar to a rotoscope effect - and it would be really strange if it would be blurry. and of course the 17 differs from person to person. it even depends on the lighting situation. usually the lighter the environment the higher the fps has to be - in a movie theater the illusion of motion stops if the movie (e.g. end credits) still plays and they switched on the lights already.

Originally posted by dave_baer
Baby duck... I like the image of the cathedral and the bridge. Looks Maya worthy.

user added image

thank you - but it is a photo. even the bridge is complicated enough to turn into 3d - and i for sure had to go and make a lot more detail shots of the bridge.

if you are not convinced it is high detailed, have a look at the file in resolution it came out of my hp 850: https://www.freewebs.com/uwerichter/cologne/