Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 26-10-2004 , 12:31 PM
Subscriber

Modelling

As i have said before in previous posts, i am new to the 3d world and loving it so far (apart from getting extremely frustrated with modelling).

I did not realise how much actually went into modelling - there is so much that you have to do and so much you have to get perfect or the entire thing could go completely down the toilet. there is a hell of a lot to take in but i am getting there gradually. i am am dam impressed with the tutorials so far even though i have to keep pausing them because i keep getting lost but thats all part of the course i suppose. anyways cheers for the Tuts guys.

How long have you all been working with Maya and other software to get where you are now?

Does anyone have any in depth tutorials regarding texturing as i need the absolute basics thrown my way.

Cheers

DW

# 2 26-10-2004 , 01:14 PM
Subscriber
Well I have been muching about with the PLE for about 1 - 1/2 years then decided to enrole at Escape Studios ( www.escapestudios.co.uk) which is where im at now.

I prefer the modelling aspect of 3D at the moment, it is very time consuming but I find it quite therapeutic working on a model for a long time, but that's me user added image

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 3 26-10-2004 , 01:19 PM
Subscriber
I feel the same about modelling - you find that you have accomplished something at the end of it instead of doing IT support which is dam frustrating and boring in itself.
I Just got to learn some more and try to get a job in the 3d area.

Cheers

DW

# 4 26-10-2004 , 01:57 PM
Subscriber
I've been using Maya Unlimited for 3 1/2 years now (3 months professionally in the industry).........and I still have A LOT to learn.....especially about lighting, rendering and particles. I prefer texturing and modelling myself.

Apart from this website, check out www.learning-maya.com. This site is a wealth of resources for all kinds of free Maya tutorials, and there is lots on there for beginners.

LisaG :p

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 5 26-10-2004 , 02:15 PM
Subscriber
Only problem i have now is trying to get my hands on a copy of Maya unlimited for the macintosh, which is going to take me a while i think!!! i bought myself a mac specially for learning this sort of thing and now i can afford to get the software dammit user added image user added image user added image user added image

# 6 27-10-2004 , 08:30 AM
Subscriber
thanks for the info though guys.

# 7 28-10-2004 , 09:30 AM
Subscriber
What made you get a Mac, just out of courosity.

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 8 28-10-2004 , 09:55 AM
Subscriber
I wanted a machine entirely devoted to design and i do like the macintosh OSX seems much more stable than windows - i have supported microsoft apps/os's for ages now and i cant stand them anymore.

# 9 28-10-2004 , 10:12 AM
I would get a mac with it's ablity to pull more flops per cycle then any AMD or Intel chip. That makes it one of the best Media chips on the market. Altough Maya unlimited 6 was just released on mac this month. and with the other chips hitting the 4GhrZ range it doesn't matter any more. For me I have only really started 3D work. My school uses 3DS Max so I taught myself Maya. I started both about 6 months ago. I taught my self Maya Animation about 3 months ago.

# 10 28-10-2004 , 10:31 AM
Subscriber
I know what you mean but i prefere macs as it has dual processors and upto 8gb of memory which makes it much easier for rendering it also uses the processing power a lot productively as most apps for windows do not have that capability.