Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 01-10-2005 , 12:24 PM
Subscriber

importing Terragen 2 Maya

hey, i've just learned about the awsome Terragen program, but I have problems with importing the mesh to maya.

I export it out in OBJ format, but when I wan't to import it in maya it says:

pv_performAction "G:/Temp/testterragen.OBJ" "OBJ";
file -import -type "OBJ" -namespace "testterragen" -options "mo=1" -pr "G:/Temp/testterragen.OBJ";
// Error: line 1: OBJ file line 32: index out of range for face creation. //
// Error: Error reading file. //

any clues of what is wrong?

Maya 4 ever baby!
# 2 02-10-2005 , 07:48 AM
If its what I think it is -- you probably corrupted Maya by importing so many damn polygons. Terragen has an issue (or is that TerrainGen? Get the two mixed up) of occasionally creating like 12x the normal polycount necessary (duplicate faces, faces with 0,0,0 as a vertex, etc.).

Try to create a "heightmap" on Terragen and use MhCannon's "bake displacement" tutorial on This thread 7th post down. It'll basically warp your surface into the topographical view of your map (which is what you want).

The last time I tried to import an OBJ file from one of those two programs, I think its Terragen, I ended up with my viewport just an explosion of lines and a BSOD (well, WinXP equivalent "Error writing (blah blah) closing".

Last edited by Phopojijo; 02-10-2005 at 07:50 AM.
# 3 02-10-2005 , 08:55 AM
Subscriber
ok, that makes sense. thx for teh help.

Maya 4 ever baby!
# 4 05-10-2005 , 12:04 PM
I have heard of this terragen or terrain generator tool to, i was googling after it, but there seems to many programs called that.
I was wondering if this is the right one:

Nem's Mega 3D Terrain Generator v3.0.4

-John Chr.

# 5 06-10-2005 , 06:49 AM