Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 28-01-2006 , 07:17 PM

which graphics card?

hi chaps,

i'm off to buy a graphics card and seeing as i know very little on the subject thought i'd come to the experts.

i have now;

amd athlon xp 2000+
1.6ghz and 1.5g ram
rage 128 pro ultra gl agp

running maya 7.0 somewhat rubbishy

being a student, cash is somewhat limited to about £180.

after a bit of research it seems to me that a nividia quadro fx540 would be the thing to get at around £150. can anyone confirm that this is the best way to go? please help chaps as my indicision is keeping me away from modelling heaven and i'm dying to post some WIP to get some feedback, pass my course and do this for a living!

thanks in advance

Last edited by vin209; 29-01-2006 at 08:34 PM.
# 2 03-02-2006 , 06:43 PM
well now i feel stupid! i know nothing about computers and now the whole world is privvy to this knowledge. Sorry for wasting the time of all the people who looked at this message and laughed but at least you smiled so it wasn't a complete waste!

everything is now upgraded to be able to cope with the graphics card (motherboard, etc), the nice guys at alias were a terrific help and i highly recommend them to complete computer novices.

for invaluable help and some of the cheapest components around i'd like to point people in this direction;

https://supamedia.securewebstore.co.u...P?ref=11637813

i do this as a service to all people in the same situation as myself because there surely must be others in a similar situation to my own.

maybe this thread could be moved to a more appropriate section?

anyway, just trying to help!