Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 01-04-2007 , 07:02 AM

Arachnid Creature

This is just supposed to resemble a spider. Its still under construction, i just have the basic outline done.
I need all tips and crits, how to go in making this more realistic, scary, creepy, disgusting!? any help is appreciated!
user added image
user added image

Yay, not a freshman anymore!
# 2 01-04-2007 , 07:10 AM
Lifetime Member
if it is an arachnid it has too many legs (should have eight).
it's blocked out now so have you decided what it's made of ?
is it organic or machine?
Once you have decided you can set about adding more detail and with that resolution to your model but don't add any polygons unless you need them.

# 3 01-04-2007 , 07:13 AM
I wanted it to be slghtly more mechanical than organic, and I noticed I had too many legs, but decided to keep then because it looked to uneven with only 2 in the back and 2 in the front. Im not sure what its made of but I want it to be furry, but am not sure how to make it furry.

# 4 01-04-2007 , 07:29 AM
Subscriber
It's at this point you really have to check out some decent photo's of some impressive spideys. Here's a few hires photos of some cool looking cretins:

Spider1
Spider2
Spider3

Hope it helps - take note of the way the legs are attached to the body (clustered underneath) and the length and shape of the legs. user added image Good luck

Last edited by petrol; 01-04-2007 at 07:33 AM.
# 5 01-04-2007 , 07:40 AM
thanks, thats a good idea, Ive already added in some other spider like features, multiple eyes, and some massive front legs, Im not nearly done but I did a crappy texture job just to get the feel of it! ill revert it back to lambert and continue working later today.
user added image

# 6 01-04-2007 , 08:00 AM
Subscriber
One thing all new guys should learn early: Don't focus on texturing, rendering and lighting, and all the things that seem appealing. Focus on making something wonderful, worth texturing, rendering and lighting. It's a tough pill to swallow because everybody loves to play around with renders, but believe me it just isn't worth it.

Try to look at some pics and REALLY try to closely follow it, challenge yourself to do something accurate. It'll produce something you're much prouder of in the end user added image

# 7 01-04-2007 , 08:28 AM

Originally posted by petrol
One thing all new guys should learn early: Don't focus on texturing, rendering and lighting, and all the things that seem appealing. Focus on making something wonderful, worth texturing, rendering and lighting. It's a tough pill to swallow because everybody loves to play around with renders, but believe me it just isn't worth it.

Try to look at some pics and REALLY try to closely follow it, challenge yourself to do something accurate. It'll produce something you're much prouder of in the end user added image

That really is a great suggestion...

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 8 01-04-2007 , 09:12 AM
thanks for the suggestions, and unlike many people, i do intend to follow them! Im starting to make it more spider like now (i may add a few touches... such as the 2 extra legs) but other than that its going to incorporate many different types of spiders into one! Ill post updates, thanks for the help.

# 9 02-04-2007 , 04:28 AM
user added image
user added image
Heres some updates. Any suggestions on what to add or fix?