Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 106 14-03-2009 , 06:31 PM
You're new to 3D modelling and Maya? That is some amazing work. To be able to learn how to texture, render and model in just a month or so is astounding. Well done sir *claps.*

# 107 14-03-2009 , 10:27 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by hammer.horror
btw i think i have a worse computer than all of you! ...just a macbook

its a mac, 'nuff said, yo :p

Dango, if you're having problems with mental ray crashing like that perhaps you could consider using the command line to render
https://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorial.../command01.asp

or maybe render in layers and comp it together in photoshop

whats your operating system?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 108 14-03-2009 , 10:47 PM
My Computers better than all of yours.

hahaha!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 109 14-03-2009 , 10:59 PM
Subscriber
if you say so... user added image

# 110 15-03-2009 , 12:57 AM
Good reply gster123, I like it! Lol!

Chirone: I'll have a look at that tutorial on monday,thanks for the link, I only just read about the command line render earlier and it would be good to know more, I run Windows Xp, my girlfriend has Vista and it's all very nice looking but not really for me. I thought about doing the photoshop comp, but I'd kinda said to myself at the start of this challenge that I'd only use it to do textures, that way it pushes me to learn more about Maya, I do like making things hard for myself!...

Pandinus: Welcome to the site, I've only been a member for just over a week so I'm getting a feel for the place the same as you! Thanks for your comments, I've actually had Maya since November, but hadn't even heard of it before then, afriend showed me google sketchup last summer and after a go on it I did some research and learnt a lot, now I'll never look back, Maya rocks! Good luck to you in the challenge mate!

# 111 15-03-2009 , 02:50 AM
Have done a render with the light angle on the front of the building, and I'm liking the shadows angle more I think, just need to play about with the intensity etc. And still need to sort out the sky! think I'll give the env. shader a try...

Attached Thumbnails
# 112 15-03-2009 , 09:36 PM
Subscriber
Is the plants paint effects - if not asgin some different color shaders to parts of it to break them up a little - the trees in the back could really do with that

Originally posted by Chirone

if you're having problems with mental ray crashing like that perhaps you could consider using the command line to render
https://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorial.../command01.asp

Dude - Most useful link ever - thank you - I can now render my city again (Maya took 1.4 gigs of memory just to open it)

Last edited by tweetytunes; 15-03-2009 at 09:38 PM.
# 113 15-03-2009 , 10:42 PM
Tweetytunes: You are right about needing to break up the plants with a bit of color, they are paint effects plants, but as mentalray won't render them I've had to convert them to polys and then duplicate into instances, which is a pain, but I'm going to see wether I can add a bit of color to them as they are with some other shaders, not sure if it'll work but here's hoping!

Just checked out that cmd line render tutorial, learnt how to use the command line render really easily, Tweetytunes is right, such a good link, everyone should check that one out, thanks so much Chirone!

Last edited by Dango77; 16-03-2009 at 12:20 AM.
# 114 16-03-2009 , 07:55 AM
You could also simply right click the maya file and go to render.

I only use .bat's when I want to render multiple files one after the other or I want to force something.

# 115 16-03-2009 , 01:24 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gster123
You could also simply right click the maya file and go to render.

I only use .bat's when I want to render multiple files one after the other or I want to force something.

Every time I have tried that in the past it does software render only - something I stopped using 6 years ago as they suck

# 116 16-03-2009 , 01:42 PM
Yeah, I tried that too but got the same result, command line seems like the way to go! Let it get on with it, and if you only select it to use one processor you can open up maya and continue on your model with hardly any jittering and spluttering about, takes a bit longer but so worth it!

# 117 16-03-2009 , 02:11 PM
You do know you can add to it to use whatever you need from the render flags or create more right clicks so you could have software, MR, hardware etc etc?

# 118 16-03-2009 , 02:23 PM
Sounds good gster123,how exactly do you create more right clicks?

# 119 16-03-2009 , 02:59 PM
Subscriber
hahahaha I wish - my city takes too much memory to open - let alone work with while rendering - nice thought though

yer that would be good to know aswell

# 120 16-03-2009 , 05:24 PM
Open my documents, tools->folder options, selces file types go to the MA files, select it.

In the details for MA file type click advanced, you should see "render" there in the list that says open and edit, click it and go to edit (DONT SAVE CHANGES THIS ONE AS IT BUGGERS THE STANDARD RENDERING UP)

Copy the path to the application (including the "%1" part right at the end).

cancel back to the the other screen that has open, edit and render on. Click new, give it a name for what you want it to do say "Render with Mental Ray or something".

In the "application to perform action" paste the normal render path in there and go to the end after ..........\render.exe" add whatever you need with render flags, in the case of getting MR going have

...........\render.exe" -r mr "%1"

You can have whatever you need afte rthe -r just the same as cmd line rendering.

Make sure you keep the "%1" as this tells windows to assign the path to the file selected save it all and rtepeat for .MB file type.

Now when you have your maya file right click and you should have your modded render with option, click it and off it goes with Mental Ray and the settings in the file - something I've been doing for a few years now as its great, and no need to create notepad files etc, leave them for multiple scene renderings.