Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 30-03-2003 , 03:39 AM
Subscriber

art or a "real job" ?

hey guys
i was wondering is it better to pick more "useful" subjects such as physics or human biology to do in the last years of high school and do maya and art in my own time or should i really try and focus on art ?
i know you guys cant make the desicion but i was wondering if you had any experiences or advice on the subject
cya
mumbo

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 2 30-03-2003 , 04:05 AM
Subscriber
Dude,
do whatever drives your passion.

No one can tell you what direction to go. I would say try a bit of whatever you are interested in.

Whatever you decide to do with the rest of your life, you're going to eat, drink, and sleep it.

For me, it's martial arts. For someone else, it's biochemistry.

For others, it's art!

Go find out!

https://www.darrylworley.com/

https://www.defendamerica.mil/nmam.html
# 3 30-03-2003 , 07:43 AM
Hey, the more school you do, the more opertunities you have. In my spare time i have gotten/trying to get ready for Web Design, Programing, Graphical Artist, Musician, private buisness manager. The more school you do, the more things you learn, and are prepaired for, the more choises you have. Let em tell you, choices are great!

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 4 30-03-2003 , 01:54 PM
Well do you ever plan to use physics or human biology, cos if not go with the art. Like Hidalgo said, do what ever your passion is. user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 5 02-04-2003 , 05:06 AM
My passion is design. I´m studying for it.

How about you friend?

# 6 02-04-2003 , 11:29 PM
Subscriber
U r still in high school so at this point I dont think u need to worry so much. However u should take subjects u are interested in. there is no sense in pursuing something which fails to motivate u. Having said that, maybe u should consider some academic subjects, for something to fall back on - who knows u may have a change of direction in a few years. I think the most important thing at this stage would be for u to continue to practice Maya in ur own time. When U get to college u can really start to shape ur career

In my case...I hadnt even thought about art until I started my uni course. I had no real relevant qualifications apart from computer related ones. So I think there is always a way. The biggest factor in all of this is determination. If u have the determination to become a CG artist then nothing will stop you user added image

# 7 02-04-2003 , 11:34 PM
Subscriber
i dont really like art, but i have to take it next year to get into an animation uni somewhere, should i take art and hate it or shud i take sumthing i enjoy and risk not gettin into uni?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 8 02-04-2003 , 11:45 PM
Subscriber
well there is another way around it. The more insightful universities will judge u by ur portfolio and an interview more than qualifications. And then there are courses which offer a foundation year for those that have no art background whatsoever. These are the most important things. Which uni(s) are u looking at Nem? My advice to u would be to phone the heads of the courses at the universities u r lookin at and just enquire what it all entails...more often than not they will invite to an interview. Even tho you are told that u need such and such qualifications, its not always the case.

He would kill me if he were to read this but my older brother got into uni with a D and two E's at A'Level...he's now got both a BSc and a MSc in financial economics. So u dont ever need to take anything ur told in this respect for granted user added image

Actually I should point out that there are other alternatives to university. Take a look at doing a professional course instead. The only downside to this option is the cost. It seems that alot of ppl who want to get ahead in studying animation and games design and the like turn to this option. There is a greater capacity to learn from industry professionals. In fact, If id known about these courses, I would have chosen that direction. Check out this link...it'll give u more of an insight

escape studios

Good luck with whatever u decide Nem....oh and u mumbojumbo13

Last edited by alexgc; 02-04-2003 at 11:52 PM.
# 9 03-04-2003 , 02:06 AM
If you want to get a job as an animator or a CG artist, you need a background in art and design. Tools will change, processes will change, but the foundations of visual communication are still the same. This doesn't necessarily mean you have to be an art major. As alexgc already mentioned, at the very least, taking foundation art classes will get you going in the right direction. Understanding composition, color, space, anatomy, etc all factor in to 3D art. For animation, it's timing, posing, staging, performance, etc. In the end, it boils down to your portfolio and/or demo reel. You don't get hired based on what classes you've taken.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 10 03-04-2003 , 04:03 AM
I have always wanted to do movies and special effects, 3D and animation! Since like 6th grade!!! I changed my major for 1 semester and came running back! Do what your dreams are! Do you want to bring worlds and characters to life or do you want to study them?!?! That's up to you!

May the force be with you...always!
A Jedi shall not know anger nor hatred nor Love
The only way to live a good life is to act upon your emotions
A warrior is reborn when he has something to protect
# 11 03-04-2003 , 11:47 AM
Subscriber
wow thanks guys user added image

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.