Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 25-06-2010 , 11:02 AM

a must watch video

Last edited by maheshsubbiah; 25-06-2010 at 11:09 AM.
# 2 25-06-2010 , 11:12 AM
We've got one here as well as a much much larger version (that can scan whole rooms, cars etc)

They wont remove the need for modelling, in fact if you do want to use a scan they need quite a bit of tweeking from the cloud data that you get, then refinement of the data, the topology isnt there also your restricted to "real" things.

There a means to an end like motion capture, some workflows will benifit (reverse engineering for fatigue analysis) and others wont, general 3D modelling and stylization.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 25-06-2010 , 04:08 PM
Subscriber
That's pretty sweet tbh.

Either way, this is in pretty distance future, and this wont replace modelers. Think about it there not going to psychically make an object and then scan it user added image

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 4 25-06-2010 , 04:39 PM
EduSciVis-er

Originally posted by starjsjswars
Think about it there not going to psychically make an object and then scan it user added image

Actually they do do that for a lot of character maquettes and things. But of course not for everything. So scanners are already part of the pipeline and modellers are still abundant.

# 5 25-06-2010 , 05:28 PM
good to hear that modellers will not be effected by this gadget

To starjsjswars:
https://www.nextengine.com/indexFlas...&identifier=hd

after u go to this link go to gallery and in CGI there are some videos where they actually make a clay model and then scan it. check all the 5 videos

# 6 25-06-2010 , 05:57 PM
Subscriber
True, when I said that I was thinking of the starwars episode 3 scene where they needed to model things that fit the scene that were sifi.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 7 25-06-2010 , 07:08 PM
Technical Director
I have a NextEngine sitting right beside me at the office. It's good for some things, but it's very time consuming.

I've found a way to take normal un-calibrated photos and turn them into multi-million poly 3d meshes, complete with textures. I use that mostly. I've also built one that uses two ordinary webcams and a projector.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 8 26-06-2010 , 02:54 AM
Lifetime Member
Good for small components mahe...but I think you will have trouble getting a passenger jet on there..LOL. First time I have seen this!!! But as ND pointed out it is time consuming..we have used similar ones attached to Surveying equipment to data record building facades when tunnelling under the city scapes etc. Very painful...they also have this which I posted ages ago on similar lines for streetscapes...I am worried I might not be a Surveyor after this one!!!

https://srv01.simply3dworld.com/showt...threadid=34075

As gster pointed out .. even this one I have linked STILL will need people with experience (ie me..Surveyors) to tweek the data and model it properly. Trust me..as a Survyor all I do is tweek plans..drawings etc..there is an old saying amongst Surveyors....the designers can all draw pretty pictures and have never seen a REAL sewer manhole at work...but its the guys on the ground (ie you modellers) that actually make it all work. Dont be afraid..LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 26-06-2010 , 09:46 AM

Originally posted by NextDesign
I've found a way to take normal un-calibrated photos and turn them into multi-million poly 3d meshes, complete with textures. I use that mostly. I've also built one that uses two ordinary webcms and a projector.

Yeah we got some software that does that, its pretty good though I never use it.

I think some one posted the link to do it from a webcam.

I used matlab to create a bit of software the used shadows on a photo (as well as the photo) to create a 3d object.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 10 26-06-2010 , 07:25 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
We use scanned data for loads of stuff at work. We recently got a whole set scanned that will get rebuilt to allow for digimattes to be done. Also the amount of scanned actors done for digi -doubles too is insane. We also had scanned data of all the dogs from the marmaduke movie, it does help but the fur caused alot of probs for the scale, it was almost like using the inflat brush out of Zbrush, instead we everted back to image planes and did the old fashioned photogrammetry style from every conceivable angle of reference shot.

Sometimes lidar scans of the sets can be affected by the weather if they are outside, if it rains you get lots of holes!!

J