Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 01-06-2012 , 10:25 AM

Trouble with Transfer Maps

Hi there,

I´m having trouble with the envelope function in the Transfer Maps window. I made a simple spaceship and created a UV Set of it with "Automatic Mapping". Now I want to bake a Diffuse, Normal and AO Map for it. In the Transfer Maps settings, Display is set to "Envelope" but whenever I move the slider of envelope, I get the Warning:

Point must be an array of 3 doubles and matrix must be an array of 16 doubles.

I´m new to Transfer Maps and would be grateful for any help.

# 2 01-06-2012 , 10:33 AM
I'm new to them too, but I'm guessing you've got overlapping UVs since automap isn't going to, on its own, get you perfect uvs. Try throwing on a quick relax to the UVs just to see if it's overlap?

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 3 01-06-2012 , 10:44 AM

I'm new to them too, but I'm guessing you've got overlapping UVs since automap isn't going to, on its own, get you perfect uvs. Try throwing on a quick relax to the UVs just to see if it's overlap?

That was my first thought either^^
I tried to do the same with two simple cubes, to see if it is the overlapping issue, but I still got the same Warning.

# 4 01-06-2012 , 10:45 AM
The thin red line

Hi there,

I´m having trouble with the envelope function in the Transfer Maps window. I made a simple spaceship and created a UV Set of it with "Automatic Mapping". Now I want to bake a Diffuse, Normal and AO Map for it. In the Transfer Maps settings, Display is set to "Envelope" but whenever I move the slider of envelope, I get the Warning:

Point must be an array of 3 doubles and matrix must be an array of 16 doubles.

I´m new to Transfer Maps and would be grateful for any help.

I dont think there is any need to touch that setting, just tick the ones you want then change file size give that a go then see if you need to change any setting.............dave

Edit:If you have auto mapped it there will be no over lap

# 5 01-06-2012 , 11:15 AM

Cool. Just tried to automap strange shape. Didn't realize if it detects overlap it splits into multiple shells that way. Good to know user added image

Now I gotta read this book next to me to figure out what the heck search envelopes are and why I don't need them.

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 6 01-06-2012 , 01:07 PM

I dont think there is any need to touch that setting, just tick the ones you want then change file size give that a go then see if you need to change any setting.............dave

Thanks that worked for me. But just for the record. When do I need to envelope?
I just bought the Game Enviroments and Props book from Michael McKinley, where you build a brick wall in the first tutorial. He first builds an a HiRes brick wall and drags a plane inside it. Then he goes to the Transfer Maps window and adds the diffuse map where he uses the envelope function either. I first thought this would be a standart procedure for creating textures.

# 7 01-06-2012 , 01:51 PM
bbahaahahha! I have the SAME book and I was (and still am) confused by the SAME thing user added image I was thinking of starting a thread.... can someone wiser help us understand the transfer map's Search envelope feature?

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer