Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 17-02-2007 , 11:07 PM

Booleans help

Im trying to make a 3D Hand and I have a problem, when I select the palm of the hand and a finger and I go to Booleans and click on Union the modell disappears user added image
where did I go wrong?

# 2 18-02-2007 , 01:27 AM
Subscriber
look in this forum about that topic. you will find enough stuff about it.

# 3 18-02-2007 , 01:39 AM
Senior Software Developer
Your Boolean Operation is failing for 2 main reasons.

1. Your Hand and finger geometry is not intersecting correctly.
2. Your have non manifold geometry on eith or both of the objects.

Really to model a hand you dont want to create all seperate geometry and boolean them. You should create the fingers from the existing geometry is far easier and leaves on errors like the one you have now...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 18-02-2007 , 03:48 AM
Senior Software Developer
The geometry of the thumb is not all the way in, some of it is still outside the hand.
The fingers geometry is over lapping. So if you boolean all of them at once, then it will just disappear.

How I would approach this is to get all the verts for the thumb and fingers lined up against the hands existing geometry delete any faces that exist in between the fingers/thumb and hand and the do a Polygon > Combine. Once thats done merge the individual verts to make the hand whole.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 6 18-02-2007 , 04:06 AM
thank you user added image, all that was needed was to delete some faces from the thumb ^^