Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-07-2008 , 06:50 PM
Subscriber

Chirone - Summer Challenge

thought i might give this a go

i was looking around my room for something that could be banged up and saw all my silver medals...and the odd one gold medal

then i thought you can't really do much with a medal other than play with the fabric

but instead i decided i will make a trophy instead

started with making two profile curves and revolving them
they ended up giving me over 10000 triangles when i revolved them and all the edges when selected were highlighted as if they were border edges (but of course they weren't)... strange...

so i revolved again but this time with the output geometry as nurbs, then i just converted nurbs to polys

using this as my reference
https://blog.ecr.co.za/newswatch/wp-c.../10/trophy.jpg
any idea on how i would do the fancy handles and bits around the body?

Attached Thumbnails

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 2 28-07-2008 , 07:13 PM
Glad you joined in the competition!
user added image

And for your question, sorry, can't help you out with it...
user added image

W.I.P's
-
Finished work
Mech
# 3 28-07-2008 , 07:19 PM
Subscriber
no worries about not being able to answer, i'm sure someone will have an idea...
i have a possible idea on how to do it, but i want to see what the others think

it doesnt feel like a summer challenge with all this stormy weather though, eh? :p

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 4 28-07-2008 , 07:27 PM
Yeah...
Did you get a lot of the storm? I heard the Auckland-area was worst, at least from stuff.co.nz

W.I.P's
-
Finished work
Mech
# 5 28-07-2008 , 07:38 PM
Subscriber
well...
i almost got blown off my feet today user added image but that was up in the city

it doesn't seem that my area in the south is getting hit by much... just lots of rain and icky wind

no power cuts yet.... hope i'm not speaking too soon :p

are you getting much bad weather?
(haha, this thread is gonna have a 'hows the weather?' phase to it user added image)

# 6 28-07-2008 , 07:47 PM
Lol, yeah, if you want to continue discussing just PM me. user added image
Don't want to clog up your thread....

user added image

I am near the bottom of the north island (wellington area). We haven't had much of a problem here, no heavy rain/heavy wind. There where some problems with the Trans metro railway though, as some railway lines have been substituded by buses...

W.I.P's
-
Finished work
Mech
# 7 28-07-2008 , 07:55 PM
Subscriber
haha, yeah, everyone else will probably be going through these posts wondering what we're on about :p

well... as long as someone gives a hint as to how i could tackle the funky designs on the reference trophy its all good

# 8 28-07-2008 , 08:08 PM
Lol... to me there's too much summer in this summer challenge user added image it's hot as hell, even in the winter...

It looks to me like you're going to need LOTS of edge loops in the bottom curves and around the handles to get all that bumps modeled (see image).
To get the handle try using extrude face along curve, with many divisions and some taper and then extrude the special shapes and tweak it to your liking (see image).

Image:
https://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2530/tempfk0.th.png
(BTW, I love SnagIt)
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 9 28-07-2008 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber
ah, extrusion along a curve, yeah i figured that's something i'd have to do user added image

i saw it being done in XSI (i gotta quickly learn that for an assignment) and figured it can be done in Maya... and i think i saw/did it in a tutorial... would help if i knew which one or where it was :p
meh, i'm sure it's really obvious and easy to find in the menus

i think the handles would be no problem, but the bits around the body would be the actual modelling challenge
i was going to keep this to simple revolving and extrustions along a curve but i dont think that would work on those bits around the body :p

btw BennyK, wheres IL?

# 10 28-07-2008 , 08:59 PM
Illinois?

W.I.P's
-
Finished work
Mech
# 11 28-07-2008 , 09:01 PM
Subscriber
the more i look at that screen shot the more it annoys me...

why didn't i centre the trophy on its stand for the screen shot...??:headbang:

# 12 28-07-2008 , 11:15 PM
IL = ISR = Israel

There's a free tutorial here on extrusion along a curve... It's not hard at all. You just select the face(s), shift+select the curve, extrude and play around with the properties in the channel box.

Extrude Face 2 by Michael Mckinley:
https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=72
BTW, great basic tutorial Mike, You should make more of those. It helped me a LOT...

Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 13 28-07-2008 , 11:16 PM
Lifetime Member
Glad you decided to have a go Chirone,
Benny steered you right with the handles, you should use the cv curve tool to draw out the shape of the handles and then extrude along the curve/curves you create.Judging by the complexity of the handles you might find it easier to make those using polygons rather than nurbs.
In case you were wondering there is no reason you can't model using a combination of nurbs and polys.
A good start with the revolves btw.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 14 30-07-2008 , 05:21 PM
Subscriber
thanks BennyK and jsprogg

i'll take a look at the video (it was one that i neglected because i thought i knew everything about extrusions :p) and update when i got something new

i tried extruding some cv curve along another cv curve but it stayed flat through the whole thing. So it didn't come out as expected :p

Last edited by Chirone; 30-07-2008 at 05:27 PM.
# 15 31-07-2008 , 04:41 AM
nice job so far chirone. user added image

if you're having problems extruding along a curve - have a play with the options - type / fixed path / pivot / direction - i like to do it in the history so you can see how it affects it.