Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 17-11-2012 , 12:25 PM

Stuck maya texture ??!

Hello.
I have model,
And I want to make some of the texture elements appear on it. (transparency, alpha channel or how you call it..)
In hyper-shade I have "file" and "lambert"
If I connect file>lamber(color) I have no problems.
But if I connect file>lambert(transparency) its epically wrong.

No matter what I do that channel is stuck, texture always appear the same on model when I render it.
Its second day I am working with that texture. I can change file name, file path but it is always the same.
For tests i even draw something on top of my texture, and maya detects somehow that it is the same texture so it puts that "old" transparency image from somewhere. If I change file no matter how it has no effect on it. if I chose different file completely then it detects. I can rotate texture , but it stays the same just on that "transparency" channel. So it is very strange. Especially if it works 100% on "color" of lamber.
even recreating hypershade network of that texture does not work.
Two pictures below explains it well. (no images or uv maps were changed)
user added image
user added image

Other unrelated problem is, how textures are displayed in view port. Some are ok, some are totally wrung like the ring itself:
user added image
How to make it look like it suppose to be?
Thank

# 2 17-11-2012 , 05:52 PM
The thin red line
Try a "layered texture" node in the hypershader under other textures............dave

# 3 17-11-2012 , 05:56 PM
I tried layered shader, but it has nothing to do with it, since source "file" is the same,something changes in latter stages. in "file" preview image looks fine, reloads every time, just when I put it on that ding through lamber, something bad happens

Try a "layered texture" node in the hypershader under other textures............dave

# 4 17-11-2012 , 06:18 PM
The thin red line
What file format are you using ...............dave

# 5 17-11-2012 , 06:43 PM
No matter which one. tiff targa jpeg png.. tried them all
I'm using 4k resolution though its big, maybe that second problem I have is because of it.
But I'm more concerned why transparency is displayed wrong

What file format are you using ...............dave

# 6 17-11-2012 , 07:20 PM
The thin red line
Sorry miss read the problem, are your normals face the correct way...........dave

# 7 17-11-2012 , 07:30 PM
They are displayed correct, it is proven by how well texture appears through color, you can see it in picture.

Sorry miss read the problem, are your normals face the correct way...........dave

# 8 17-11-2012 , 07:46 PM
The thin red line

They are displayed correct, it is proven by how well texture appears through color, you can see it in picture.

Thats not quite correct colour will show on both sides of a mesh, how are you creating your textures are you leaving the back ground empty for say a tagra or png file or are you using black and white to control the transparencey if so turn on "alpha is luminance" in the file node colour balance............dave

# 9 17-11-2012 , 08:55 PM
I think it worked, just like you advised I turned on "alpha luminance" in color balance. Now it shows correct transparency of texture.
It was extremely strange though why maya in case that option is not set keeps distorted history of model shading.. it just got me very confused
i have other problems though, that second one, where textures are displayed wrong in view port. Is it possible to correct it? or it is because textures are too big to handle in viewport?
And I may have other other problem, but I keep trying with it, if I fail I'll ask here again.

Thats not quite correct colour will show on both sides of a mesh, how are you creating your textures are you leaving the back ground empty for say a tagra or png file or are you using black and white to control the transparencey if so turn on "alpha is luminance" in the file node colour balance............dave

# 10 17-11-2012 , 11:39 PM
The thin red line
Have you tried view port 2..................dave

# 11 18-11-2012 , 07:04 PM
When I mean "port" I mean one of those 4 windows, it shows corrupted view in all of the screens.
Same in UV map editor it makes aligning hard.

I have other problem that I believe is easy to fix, it is just from lack of experience.
I want to create texture on top of chrome material.
I have shader like in picture below, but rendered view is somehow not what I expected.
user added image

Have you tried view port 2..................dave

# 12 18-11-2012 , 08:14 PM
The thin red line
In the panel it has "renderer" change that to high quality see if that is any better. For chome to work you need lighting and some thing to reflect off...............dave

Edit:use the alpha of the layer texture for the transparencey

Last edited by daverave; 18-11-2012 at 08:55 PM.
# 13 18-11-2012 , 11:40 PM
Thanks it worked, I decreased "alpha gain" in file texture settings
So now I only have that one problem with textures not being displayed correctly on maya preview modes.

In the panel it has "renderer" change that to high quality see if that is any better. For chome to work you need lighting and some thing to reflect off...............dave

Edit:use the alpha of the layer texture for the transparencey

# 14 22-11-2012 , 05:14 PM
Hey, sudenly I started getting inverted + black and white colors.
It happened twice, first time I fixed it by recreating and re importing model.
But it takes time, and I guess it is some option that is causing this.
First time it happened, also all of my shaders went black, I fixed it by copying them all and re assigning.
Have no idea what is going on. Someone?
That is how my renders now looks of this project:
user added image

# 15 24-11-2012 , 09:29 AM
The thin red line
Sounds like you have a maya clitch it happens from time to time, try exporting your model as a mia file then import into a clean file...........dave