Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 18-12-2013 , 07:27 PM

problems with displacement and normal maps

hello. i have made a displacement and normal maps for a model, but they don't work as they should. firstly, the displacement map:
user added image

why is it chequered? the map itself doesnt have those squares.

secondly, displacement map and normal map applied:
user added image

the normal map is applied as "normal map in tangent space", but there are no small details. however, they appear when i'm applying the normal map as a bump map:
user added image

but this way the large details, like nostrils, look wrong.
can anyone explain to me, how it should be set up, so that everything looks good?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mickhah; 18-12-2013 at 10:22 PM.
# 2 20-12-2013 , 11:25 PM
What is your alpha offset at in the displacement settings? ZBrush has diff settings than maya so the displ map needs certain settings.

# 3 21-12-2013 , 12:51 AM
i tried with minus one half offset, with 0 offset, with different other settings. nothing helped. i already made new map, exported directly from zbrush, and it works. but the main question stays - why are those small details only there if i apply normal map as a bump map?

# 4 21-12-2013 , 03:52 AM
There is a setting in which you have to plug in the normal out and have it facing the camera. Is in setnormal function in the work area and this an extra attribute that will only be able to be plugged in this way. Will take some screen grabs if I have a chance to better explain. On iPad.....

Here is a blog that explains what I am saying better. Not how I learned but same concept.

https://matthewtan85.wordpress.com/tu...s-in-maya2011/

Last edited by Chavfister; 21-12-2013 at 03:56 AM.
# 5 23-12-2013 , 12:36 PM
it won't work for me. i'm using vray materials, there you don't need extra bump nodes.
those fine details are in my normal map, but somehow they are not rendered.

Last edited by mickhah; 23-12-2013 at 12:45 PM.