Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 07-05-2006 , 11:17 AM

Akira characters

I am currently working on a project to create the characters Tetsuo, Kanada and the Joker as well as there bikes from the cult manga AKIRA. I have so far created the basic models for three of the bikes as well as Kanada and the Joker. The problem is I have only been using maya for 2 months now and am having difficulty with maya cloth and was wondering if anyone out there might be willing to help me put clothes on my characters or tell me of any tutorials that are easy for complete rookies to understand ie a quicktime. I did use a tutorial from digital tutors but although it showed me how to make the clothes I have no idea as to what needs changing in order to make the fabrik react as would denim or silk. I know it's a big ask but if anyone is intrested and would like to help out with the characters it would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-05-2006 , 03:06 PM
Subscriber
I'm a big fan of the Akira movie, and would like to help you, but that would only be possible after my eksams, which is after june 16. If ur still working on it there, then plz let me know user added image

Maya 4 ever baby!
# 3 10-05-2006 , 01:04 PM
I have now fully rigged kaneda but am having major problems with clothing him. Any help would be much appreciated since I am very new to maya and have much to learn.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 10-05-2006 , 04:05 PM
Subscriber
hey

love the bikes u made, looks really awesome.
Personally i havent used cloth that much but if you just want a basic over look i would just download the free tutorial from here

https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=67

after this basic tutorial i managed to cloth my character with animation with no problem

hope it helps user added image

# 5 11-05-2006 , 01:05 PM
Great work so far leonlabyk. I think your model of kaneda still needs a bit of work - especially the feet and chest areas, but it already looks a lot like the character.

Akira is a very cool movie. If you have not seen it already I would definitely check out Memories which is a collection of three short animations, also by Katsuhiro Ôtomo.

# 6 28-06-2006 , 11:33 AM
The final character that I have been working on is tetsuo. I have also tried to make him look a lot more human than his character in the film Akira but think I may of strayed to far.
I have been working with maya hair, and although I am not yet satisfied with the results I feel it will create a much closer likeness to his character in the film Akira.

Any crits on these characters and the bikes is welcome and much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 03-07-2006 , 02:02 PM
Subscriber
Hey leonlabyk!

I got your e-mail. sry it took so long to respond.

First off, I really think Tetsuo's head is looking very good. He might have a little to much of a baby-face, but that might be ok, since Tetsuo does look young, even for his age.

as for Kaneda, his cheeks are deffently too thick. It's good modeling, but he dosn't look much like kaneda from Akira. U could try thinning out his face a little, and raise his cheekbones. That would be my advise.

As for kaneda's bike, it looks a bit too low rez is some places. In generel it could use some more detail I think, even though I know it would take alot more of your time. depends on how much work u want to put in this project.

as for the e-mail u sent me, I'm really not an ekspert at using cloth simulation. I've actually never used them myself yet. But I could try modeling some of the cloth if that's good enough. also try to help out modeling a bagground, or other charatkers. Just say the word, and I will do my best user added image

cheers
user added image

Maya 4 ever baby!
# 8 04-07-2006 , 02:13 PM
Subscriber
dude, that's much better! can you post wire?

Maya 4 ever baby!
# 9 04-07-2006 , 02:36 PM
holy crap that's a nice head

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 10 05-07-2006 , 08:09 AM
Sorry but I have no idea how to do renders of wireframes.

If anyone could let me know it would be appreciated.

# 11 05-07-2006 , 12:08 PM
Subscriber
That's loking really nice!

No need to render a wire, just take a screen grab with 'wireframe on shaded' selected iin the shading menu.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 12 05-07-2006 , 02:45 PM
Subscriber
That's an incredibly dense mesh you've got there Leon, what's the poly count?

As far as hair goes there is a fairly good walkthrough on how it works on the documentation CD that comes with Maya, if that's not available to you then i might be downloadable from the Autodesk website.

Other than that this might help......

Hair Tutorial

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 13 05-07-2006 , 05:27 PM
Wow - Great work leonlabyk - these models have really come a long way - I really like the way you have taken the individual akira characters and modelled them in maya - you have definitely managed to capture aspects of the original source material.

The only thing that is bothering me at the moment are the eyes - they just seem a bit too big - I think the lower edge is a little flat and the upper edge seems a little too arched, though this may be part of the style that you are going for...

Keep up the good work mate.user added image

# 14 27-09-2006 , 10:30 PM
looking good leonlabyk! user added image

I am glad to see that you are still working on this.

# 15 30-09-2006 , 09:23 AM
Subscriber
i would call this a masterpiece if i was the one making it.

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!