Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 04-12-2013 , 10:42 AM

Animate rope attached Dynamics

I have a sphere. Attached to it is a long cylinder. I would like to animate the cylinder in such
a way that when the sphere moves the cylinder would moves in the opposite direction similar to a rope attached to a ball.

In brief:

When sphere moves forwards, the rope moves backward.
The part of the rope attached would move to a lesser extent to the back while the part further from the joint would move further back.

Could someone please point me to the basics needed to achieve this animation? I saw a few animations on youtube e.g. swinging rope using ncloth, fish moving along a path, etc. But they did not help.

thx

# 2 05-12-2013 , 02:44 PM
hey,

it will be a lot easier to use hair instead of cloth.
all you have to do is select a "bottom" face on the sphere and in hair menu select create hair (in option box choose only nurbs curves and dynamic. tweak it to output only a single curve)
once you have the curve extrude a circle along the output curve to get a cylider.

now animate the sphere and see the magic happen user added image

# 3 09-12-2013 , 09:27 AM
thank you jdace