Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 05-02-2014 , 08:01 AM
Chadlton

Character Animation Issue

Greetings Everyone!

Well, I am having an issue that I don't know the exact term for. So I shall try and describe this best I can.So recently I took a beginners course in modeling, rigging and animating a human character, most of which I got. But the issue I am running into is when I go to move parts of my characters body this happens.

user added image

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix this?

Thanks much & Best Regards
~Chad~

# 2 05-02-2014 , 12:34 PM
EduSciVis-er
It looks like your geometry isn't connected to each other. Is that what you mean? Is the geometry parented to the bones or is it skinned? Its hard to know what the intent of the tutorial was. This might be expected.

# 3 06-02-2014 , 03:30 AM
Chadlton

It looks like your geometry isn't connected to each other. Is that what you mean? Is the geometry parented to the bones or is it skinned? Its hard to know what the intent of the tutorial was. This might be expected.

Yes, the geometry is parented to the bone. The tutorial told me to split up the models geometry and then connect it to the joints. You know like, knee geometry to the knee joint. Hope that helps. user added image

Best Regards
~Chad~

# 4 06-02-2014 , 03:47 AM
EduSciVis-er
Okay, so I'm not sure exactly what the issue you're experiencing is. That seems like normal behaviour for the process that you've followed to rig it.

# 5 06-02-2014 , 05:46 AM
Chadlton

Okay, so I'm not sure exactly what the issue you're experiencing is. That seems like normal behaviour for the process that you've followed to rig it.

Well I guess what I am wondering is how do you make a model bend and twist without it showing those breaks.

# 6 06-02-2014 , 05:42 PM
EduSciVis-er
You will have to look into a tutorial on skinning. Rigid bind or smooth bind. And you will need a single mesh, likely with more resolution or edge loops. Hope that helps a bit.

# 7 06-02-2014 , 05:52 PM
Chadlton

You will have to look into a tutorial on skinning. Rigid bind or smooth bind. And you will need a single mesh, likely with more resolution or edge loops. Hope that helps a bit.

Indeed it does. Thanks man, I appreciate it. user added image