Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-03-2003 , 11:24 AM

nurbs?

I've just tried to render out a scene with mental ray that I created, the objects in the scene are nurbs. Through maya's renderer they appear nice and smooth but when I tried using mental ray they render out highly faceted, asthough it was rendering them at display level 1? I went through the documentation which suggests going through the Rendering>MentalRay>approximation editor, all the settings in here are dimed out and simply say "derive from Maya" which should mean mental ray will take the tessilation values I set up within maya but it doesn't? What going on? Any help would be great, Thanks

James.

# 2 02-04-2003 , 01:27 PM
Subscriber
You use surface approximation editor if you have displacement maps only, if I am correct. Try to increase tesselation settting to highest Quality with smooth edge. Affect U and V tesselation attributes if necessary.

Hope it will help.

Cheers
Braam

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

www.wickedpixels.com/braam
# 3 03-04-2003 , 01:15 PM

thanks

Yeah I tried that and yes it did work, but there was still some wierd aliasing problems and I had the render globals set to production quality in the aliasing options??

This one's got me?

Thanks anyway!

# 4 04-04-2003 , 05:46 AM
Maybe a pict might help.

Otherwise you could try clicking the Enable Advanced Tesselation option "ON" in the NURBs Shape tab in the Advanced Tesselation section and setting the Number U and Number V attributes to 12 or more per object. This of course only affects the smoothness of objects and not their anti-aliasing.