Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 21-07-2008 , 03:29 AM

UV Texture Editor - Automatic Mapping

Hi Guys

I am back again with problem on the car model I am working. Currently its on the Automatic Mapping. I have worked for the last two hours fitting the jigsaw puzzle of the car body. Though I finally have all the pieces in one place, the shape of the car in the UV texture is completely gone off!

I have tried unfolding/relax etc but the shape is not coming to a reasonable structure. Since I will be working on PShp for the texture, its becoming a problem with the shape.

Any suggestions to get this to a reasonably decent shape?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 21-07-2008 , 08:37 AM
whaa - why have you tried to sew all of the pieces together? a car is made up of many seperate pieces, so there is really no need for all of the parts to be sewn together in the texture editor. any model that you make is likely going to have seams - the whole point of the texture editor is to flatten your model out so you can paint it.

# 3 21-07-2008 , 08:40 AM
Senior Software Developer
Planer Map the UV's for a Vehicle on all sides. Arrange each peice into a seperate space in the 0 to 1 space of the UV editor (The grid).

This will give a cleaner layout to work with in Photoshop or your painty package of choice...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 21-07-2008 , 09:45 AM
Thanks Guys.

Will work with the solution of breaking this up into smaller lots. Of course, I have taken off the doors and the windshield etc from the earlier mapping but I guess its better to sub-divide them before I take it in UV.

Thnx

GP

# 5 22-07-2008 , 08:31 AM
Hi,
I have used the planar method and have done the mapping separately for front/side/top and bottom. I exported this to PS and worked on the textures.

My problem now is that when I bring this back to Maya as a Tga file, the colors are not as per the uvs. The enclosed pictures show the sad story.

I have tried this several times, including rotating the frame and repeat UVs but the colours do not fix properly. Not sure what the problem is.

Can some one help on this. Have spent the last many hours on this problem.

Thanks.

user added image user added image user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 22-07-2008 , 01:16 PM
you must have moved the UVs after taking them into photoshop. look at your uvs in the texture editor and compare them to your ps uv map.

# 7 23-07-2008 , 06:55 AM
Hi Guys
my problem has been resolved now. Invariably, I have created many UV sets for the same object and these were all mixed up (read messed up) when I brought back the texture from PS.

Now I have been able to delete the redundant UV sets (though a few unwanted ones refuse to go) and I have the texture applied properly.

Rgds,

GP