Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-03-2004 , 12:15 PM

Mental Block

I have an unsual problem when it comes to modeling... I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this or not, but here goes: I model primarily using polygons, I can model objects, architechture and that sort of thing, but everytime i try to model a bipedal character I can't seem to "see" how to do it. I use reference images, rough out the shapes using cylinders for the chest, arms, and legs, and after that I just crap out and can't see the shapes that it needs. I know this is just a mental block, but i can't seem to shake it. Any advice?

# 2 01-03-2004 , 12:26 PM
Get some anatomy pictures and study the muscle definition. Side/Front refs are good for the basic shape but you'll need additional images of body parts if you're for more detail.

# 3 01-03-2004 , 12:52 PM
dude I'm the same, but then some people just arent good at organic stuff. I much prefer hard surface modelling than doing squishy stuff!

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 01-03-2004 , 01:28 PM
Subscriber
That makes 3 of us...

I've been buying models from Toy-R-Us, I sit with the model and think I've got it all figured out, fire up Maya... then nothing... I cannot get it right.

It's very bloody frustrating because I WANT to be able to do it.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 5 01-03-2004 , 04:35 PM
I get that too, one can see what one wants but how to manifest it is another question user added image

# 6 01-03-2004 , 04:54 PM
keep trying and dont be afraid to start over. It normally takes me 2/3 attempts to get the rough shape started. But I normally get there in the end. Look at my current WIP. That took 3 attempts to get there and I was going to give up before I started the last one user added image

Keep tryin'
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 7 01-03-2004 , 10:19 PM

Thanks...

Well It's good to know that i'm not the only one with this problem! ^_^ I hope you all will soon tackle it, as I will continue to try. Thanks...

# 8 02-03-2004 , 04:18 AM
Subscriber
Its possible that your being to hard on your self. When you model something organic and it doesn’t look great, often people will stop there. I mean we all know what a Human, horse, or cat looks like. Organic shapes do vary some but not as much as in-organic. From human to human there noses still have a basic shape. But take a couch for instance. There are so many variations. Or a table. That makes it much easier to relax and experiment, to learn.

I think it takes giving your self enough rope to fail and learn. Don't be very critical of your first organic stuff. Explore it.

# 9 02-03-2004 , 03:07 PM
I like to start with a sub to get the proportion, and then convert to add details. I do suck, but this works for me at this point user added image

Lungs not guns....
# 10 03-03-2004 , 03:39 AM
It helps just to know how the major forms of the body play off one another. If it helps model a simple character (maybe sorta cartoony) at first and then just build up from there. For me getting started is always the hardest part but once I am out of the gate I am in turbo mode :-)