Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 14-11-2014 , 01:26 AM

Rendering live footage

Hello,

I have a scene in Maya with a camera move, a few 3D objects, Vray Sun and a background plane on which I mapped my live footage.

Using VRay, I've already rendered my 3D objects and shadows separately. Now I need to render the plane with the live footage alone, but I need it to render without being affected by the VRay Sun or the default lights.

I already tried playing with self-illumination, disabling the Sun, but the footage renders either too bright, too dark, or the colors are off. Is there a specific Vray or Maya material one should use when mapping live footage onto a plane, or something I'm not aware of?

Many thanks
Jeremy

Last edited by Turboyac; 14-11-2014 at 04:54 AM.
# 2 14-11-2014 , 07:15 PM
No one?

I remember in an old version of Maya, all you had to do was turn off the lights and put your footage material at 100% self-illumination. How come this doesn't work anymore? Any idea?

Thanks!

# 3 15-11-2014 , 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
I don't use Vray, but the self illumination technique should work, just make sure you've killed any diffuse weight the shader has(try a surface shader). Place the model in it's own render layer so you can omit the lights and or turn off any indirect illumination etc. Also is there a reason why you're rendering out a sequence of the live footage instead of just adding the live footage in post?

- Genny
# 4 15-11-2014 , 06:35 PM
Thanks, let me try that. Yes I have to render it in Maya for the camera move to be applied to the live footage. Also the plane is on the ground, so I have shadows and contact points with my 3D objects. Will try surface shader and render layer. Thanks!

# 5 17-11-2014 , 10:27 AM
The Nurb Herd
you don't need to use vray you could just switch to maya software or whatever... but even in vray just assign a surface shader, you don't even need lights.

...personally i'd just do this with projection in Nuke if thats an option.

# 6 18-11-2014 , 08:04 PM
You're right of course! No need to use Vray to render that. Surface shader seems to work. I also disabled sRGB in my render settings (which changed the gamma).

I normally work with After Effects for the rest and sure, I could probably make it work there but I figured it's just simpler to use the Maya camera move.

Thanks again

Last edited by Turboyac; 19-11-2014 at 02:36 AM.