Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 26-09-2006 , 01:55 AM

Drawing curves on shapes.

Lets keep our dreams alive!
# 2 26-09-2006 , 03:48 AM
Subscriber
just make the surface 'live'

chose the surface and go modify make live

then draw on it

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 26-09-2006 , 04:34 AM
Phew, that was easy. Thanks!
But now, how can I make the drawn curves or polygons modify the shape whenever I modify them? For example, like pushing them back in the shape or leave holes on surfaces with the form of their shapes when deleted.user added image :bow:

# 4 26-09-2006 , 06:53 PM
I know this can be done with nurbs when construction history is on (little scroll on the status line). You can make a poly surface live to draw on it, but I don't think you can use construction history to modify the curve by altering the poly surface. If anyone knows a way, please explain.

For simplicity:

1. open a new scene
2. create a nurbs sphere
3. modify -> make live
4. use cv curve tool to draw any quick curve shape on the sphere
5. edit curves -> offset -> offset curve with a distance of 0 (or more than 0 for the general idea)
6. move this new curve +5 in y
7. don't delete history
8. make not live
9. select the sphere then go into cv mode (f9) and move some cv's around then notic the offset curve change due to the history
10. once you get your curve in the shape you want, make sure to rebuild it to either 0 to 1 or 0 to #spans.
11. you can also adjust the curve on the surface which will automatically rebuild the offset curve. You will still need to rebuild when you have what you are looking for.

You may lose a little shape when you rebuild but you can usually get back pretty close to your origonal.

I hope that is as clear as mud. pm me if I can help anymore. If you already knew all of that, sorry user added image

# 5 26-09-2006 , 07:42 PM
That was very clear. Thanks!user added image

# 6 26-09-2006 , 07:52 PM
.... but something is not going like I wanted. When I try to move the curve I drew on the sphere, it just moves on the surface... I want it to act like an edge so I pull and push it. I guess that works on polygons? Also, I have one more thing im trying to figure out if you can help pls.:blush:
I created a polygon sphere, made it live and drew another polygon on it using the create polygon tool and extruded it a bit.
How can I push that polygon shape into the polygon sphere and leave a gap behind?

Sorry if I'm beig a handfull...user added image Theres a big road block in what i'm trying to do.

# 7 27-09-2006 , 06:04 PM
I was under the impression that you wanted to use a surface to control a curve. I am now thinking you are wanting to have on poly surface nicely next to another, is that right?

If so, you can duplicate your first object, hide it. Then do the same with you second object. Use a boolean operation then try to use the split poly tool to make sure you stay all quads. Move that new piece of geometry just out of the way then unhide your surfaces. Do another boolean but in the opposite order then use split poly to ensure quads.

What is it you are trying to make? Do you have a screenshot (that would help)?

If anyone else is thinking of a better way, please chime in.

# 8 27-09-2006 , 08:43 PM
Sorry, maybe I can explain better using this image.

user added image

How can I attach that polygon star onto the polygon box then be able to push in the star and leave a gap in the box?

# 9 27-09-2006 , 10:43 PM
Here is something quick and crude. If this is all you need, then it should do. If you need to be able to smooth or bevel edges, then the geometry will need to be redone but shouldn't be a problem.

user added image

Let me know.

# 10 27-09-2006 , 10:51 PM
Quick render

user added image

# 11 28-09-2006 , 01:39 AM
Thats it! How did you leave that star hole in the shape? Nice render btwuser added image

# 12 28-09-2006 , 03:02 AM
You are going to kick yourself when you see how simple this is user added image

That was one of my problems when I first started also, just over modeling everything. I can either send you a scene file that I exported or write a .txt on how I did it. Let me know.

# 13 28-09-2006 , 03:08 AM
Yeah I presumed it would be easy hehe...If so, ill appreciate a .txt please.:bow:

# 14 28-09-2006 , 03:17 AM
1. create the star with the create polygon tool (you've already done)
2. create a poly cube (again, done)
3. I used the poly split tool to get the star so that each face was a quad.
This took a minute of staring at it to get the idea for the
topology but it's not that bad.
4. In object mode, select the star then use the extrude face tool.
5. The extruded geometry should have faces on both side (also make sure you have keep faces together selected)
6. Once I had the depth I wanted, I just moved the star so that it intersected the cube.
7. Select the cube, then the star; then do a boolean difference (maybe selected them in the other order??? can't remember)
8. Render to your heart's content.

# 15 28-09-2006 , 03:20 AM
Aaaah! That was cake!:attn: Thanks again.