Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 14-12-2002 , 01:59 AM

Tablets

Who uses tablets?
Are they worth the money?
Any links with prices and reviews anyone can suggest for a prosumer like myself(cheap but good tablet)?

Thanks you guys when i get some money im gonan get a membership, but paying for maya, after effects, premiere, photoshop, macromedia studio mx can really run up a toll including the planned purchase of a Mac G4 for 3,668.95 dollars.

Chris

Find me at:

irc.simplymaya.com
#simplymaya

www.gotrewt.com

# 2 14-12-2002 , 02:10 AM
Subscriber
i use a tablet - a graphire 2 - and i am real happy with it. i would not suggest to buy any other brand than wacom. you need not read tests - select the wacom that fits.

i would say go for the graphire, but i know a a4 or a3 intius would be better for your graphics needs.

edit: forgot the address www.wacom.com

Last edited by BabyDuck; 14-12-2002 at 02:21 AM.
# 3 14-12-2002 , 02:12 AM
From what I've heard, pen and tablets are a pain to deal with in Maya but if you're doing a lot of work in photoshop or Illustrator (or Freehand) or really anything that supports pressure-sensitive functions, the wacom intuos is a good series. Awesome for painting textures and whatnot. Size depends on what you need....6 x 8 would be good.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 4 14-12-2002 , 02:27 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by NitroLiq
From what I've heard, pen and tablets are a pain to deal with in Maya ...

negative. a mouse is a pain in the butt - for me. so it highly depends on the physiology of your hand.

and if you use paint effects you are happy to have a pen - and pressure sensitivity - helps to sculpt too. maya makes use of pressure sensitivity ...

# 5 14-12-2002 , 02:39 AM
Whatever works, I guess.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 6 14-12-2002 , 03:03 AM
Subscriber
I use a Wacom2, but I've had it for several months now. I do a lot of sketching though and it sure does help a lot. I've even gotten used to the limited area on the tablet.

However, I also have a wireless mouse (Logitech) attached also so I can switch between the two anytime I need to...

-Hidalgo

https://www.darrylworley.com/

https://www.defendamerica.mil/nmam.html
# 7 14-12-2002 , 10:24 AM
Subscriber
I use an Wacom Graphire (the cheap one, with half of the accuracy of that of the Intuous series). Next time I'll buy an Intuous tablet, sometimes the accuracy becomes an issue, but it works great in maya.

The issue of accuracy is primarily in photoshop.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!

Last edited by undseth; 14-12-2002 at 10:26 AM.
# 8 14-12-2002 , 02:21 PM
Subscriber
hey!!! i have been thinking of getting one too!!!... but wanted to ask what were the uses of it in maya... thinking of getting a very cheap one for start... its 130 riyals (45$ user added image)... btw, i am thinking of getting it for sketches...

can you use it as a mouse?????

# 9 14-12-2002 , 02:55 PM
Wacom Intuos2 A5 here. It rocks.

If you do a search on this board you'll find more threads about tablets and their uses with maya and others...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!