Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-07-2007 , 12:44 AM

copy uvs?

Ok - not sure if you can do this - I'm texturing a keyboard. I'm too lazy to UV map all of the buttons - is there a way to map one, duplicate the UVs and then apply them to a new button? I don't want to transfer the UVs, as that would mean all of the buttons would have the same texture. I just want to layout one button - duplicate the UVs several times and then assign each new UV map to the buttons. I saw copy UVs under the UV texture editor, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Help!

Last edited by arran; 28-07-2007 at 12:50 AM.
# 2 28-07-2007 , 02:04 AM
Subscriber
since you want the same layout for every single button transfer uvs is the way to go.

if the buttons are exactly the same, like a duplicate of one) then just do a transfer and assign a different shader to them. this will do the trick.

transfer uv does not transfer shader or anything else only the things you check in option box.

# 3 28-07-2007 , 02:25 AM
thanks for the reply BadG3r, but unless I'm mistaken, I don't think transfer is going to work.

Each button has the same mesh, but will have a different texture - for example, a different number on each button, so I need to be able paint a different texture for each. Not sure how assigning a different shader will help.

I'm really crap at texturing though :blush: , so I may be missing something.

# 4 28-07-2007 , 03:28 AM
Subscriber
yes you are...

maya looks at the uvs and applys the shader.

so you paint one texture put in the color input and maya will always map the texture the same but looking for 'what-to-map' in the assigned shader...

just try it...

you'll see

# 5 28-07-2007 , 04:14 AM
yeah - i see what you're saying, but that would mean I would need 106 shaders - one for every key!!

ha ha - unless i'm still not getting it.

thanks again BadG3ruser added image

# 6 28-07-2007 , 05:17 AM
Lifetime Member
arran transfer uv's is the way to go , the uv's have nothing to do with the texture you apply only the way the texture fits the mesh,so simply create the textures you need be it 2, 3 or 26 whatever using the one UV map.

Then create a shader for each texture and then after all the keys have their Uv's transfer mapped just apply the appropriate shader to the keys you need it on.

hope this helps.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 7 29-07-2007 , 02:02 AM
thanks jsprogg - i'll keep at it - my brain always seems to stop working when i get to texturing...

haven't seen you for a while - you still working on your wasp?

# 8 29-07-2007 , 02:49 AM
Hey Arran,

unfortunatly thats what you've got to do have a different shader for each part to assign hte map

Then again you probably could write a MEL script to do it for you, using a loop function and a simple increcement for the file??

Dunno as im not too sure about MEL, being getting back into C++, then again if you post thatin the MEL forum bet Alan could sort you out with a workround, if one exists...

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 29-07-2007 , 06:30 AM
ha ha - thanks gster - i think mel might be a bit beyond me at the moment... :blush:

I ended up combining the keys and planar mapping them for the time being.

# 10 30-07-2007 , 05:35 PM
Lifetime Member

haven't seen you for a while - you still working on your wasp?

I have been around just not actively posting as i have just moved house and haven't had much time what with things that need sorting out.
I am still UVing the Wasp a little at a time when I get a few moments spare ,when I have a significant update I will post it on the WIP.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner