Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 10-02-2005 , 05:26 AM

Help on Maya in Game Development...

I need assistance on maya in game development

I basically started with maya because of my Intrest in games but now that i am a bit fimilair with modeling and etc. how do i export my work into games or how do i start on game development?........how do i export my levels to quake 3 or games on its engine?....

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!
# 2 10-02-2005 , 07:19 AM
really isnt a maya question, depends on the support the quake sdk has for maya

FX supervisor - double negative
# 3 11-02-2005 , 03:36 AM
this is also something that i am interested in, i have no idea how to do any of this user added image

# 4 11-02-2005 , 06:06 AM
Any idea on where i could find help...any game developer over here who could help me into the industry or the field............
also
-do i need to have a degree or a certificate to work for a company as i have learned to work on maya through books and tutorials will it be a problem
-how much does a average guy with maya modeling expirence in a company earn?

Free Photo Hosting!
# 5 11-02-2005 , 12:08 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Supra Devil
-do i need to have a degree or a certificate to work for a company as i have learned to work on maya through books and tutorials will it be a problem
-

You dont' need a degree as everone i know from friends to teachers has said you'll get the job on:

1) The quality of your portfolio.
2) How well they think you'll get on with the other team members.

However if there's two of you they like and your work is just as good as each other they'll hire the person with the degree as he'll be more used to deadlines and pressure.

# 6 11-02-2005 , 04:24 PM
The Maya Mountain
I'd love to help, but so far, in each project I've been a part of, a custom engine has been used, with a custom exporter, so I'm unfamiliar with the quake engine or whatever and how it's done for it.

As said, the quality of your portfolio and a good attitude is the main thing that is needed. In order to get that quality, some people need to be taught. Others can do it themselves.

The money earned is very subjective and varies based on the company and the location.

Gamasutra.com has a yearly game industry salary survey that might help - https://www.gamasutra.com/features/20...olsen_01.shtml

Survey says that for an artist with less than 2 years experience, the average yearly income (in the US) is approx. $40k. It doesn't say much regarding those first entering the industry with little to no experience, however, but from my own experience, $25-30k is more likely for such folks.

# 7 12-02-2005 , 01:25 AM
thanks for all the info.......but how do i step into this industry at the moment i am doing commerce but i`d like to have my career in Game Development.......any idea`s on where to start from?

Free Photo Hosting!
# 8 12-02-2005 , 03:22 AM
The Maya Mountain
make some game art in your free time for your portfolio.

# 9 12-02-2005 , 06:31 AM
Subscriber

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 10 12-02-2005 , 08:18 AM
no mtmckinley i havent really started with all the game making and stuff but like i can model stuff in maya but i wanna start on learning it......what software or something that you reccommand i should start on?

and thanks mhcannon for the plug-ins if they work they will be really helpful

Free Photo Hosting!

Last edited by Supra Devil; 12-02-2005 at 08:24 AM.
# 11 14-02-2005 , 01:09 PM
Subscriber
If you're interested in a degree, the Art Institute of Atlanta offers a Game Art Design and a brand new Visual Game Programming degree. Both deal with modeling and although having a degree is not necessary to getting a job in the industry, it can help you move along at a better pace if you're not one to be good at teaching yourself everything. I'm going through the Game Art Design one right now, but am actually going up in a few hours to switch to the programming one because it suits me better.

As for what companies are looking for in order to hire you... The #1 reason people get turned down in this industry is that they are showcasing the WRONG type of things in their portfolio. Everything is all about the portfolio for getting a job. It's very important. For games, you want to show off LOW POLY MODELS if you're wanting to model for items that will be used in an actual game. From what I've seen, cinematic sequences are all done by ANIMATORS which covers a different degree than the first two I listed. Companies aren't going to want to see high res models unless you're going to be animating those high res models for cinemas, so do low poly.

Don't think that you'll have a better chance at getting a job by learning to do everything. Don't try to be a jack of all trades and learn animation, modeling, texturing, high res modeling, programming, lighting, etc and go to them and say "I can do this, this, and this, I'm sure to get hired." no.... Companies want people who focus ONLY on one particular thing. The only exception is texturing in that if you're modeling, you sometimes or usually will go ahead to texture it yourself unless there is a seperate texture artist already hired for that specific job. AFTER you get into the company, they might look at your other talents THEN see about making you multitask. So yes, learn how to do more than modeling, but don't put that other stuff on your resume.

As for your resume, I would research what makes the best resumes. Google has some good results. You need to make the first section of it short, sweet, and hard to beat. Don't rattle on about how you came into the industry, your favorite part about being a modeler, etc. and spelling correctness is a MUST.

To export to .obj format, Maya has a development kit that costs about $500. There is something in that kit called polytrans. This plug-in/script/whatever it is, is used for exporting to .obj format. I have not seen this sold seperately or for free anywhere online. 3DSMax exports to .obj format by default without any plug-ins.

and one more fact: programmers make the most, animators second, and modelers the least. Not sure if that will change your mind about anything though.

# 12 14-02-2005 , 03:52 PM
First of all thanks for all the effort Darkware
but basically what i am asking here is not about a job i want to know that how do i start on developing my own games i need to know where do i start i am basically a modeler but want to learn on how to make games too. by now i found this book on amazon which i orderd too hope it helps me on what i seek for

This book is called : 3D Game Programming All in One (Course Technology PTR Game Development Series)

i just hope its what i hope it is and helps me what i want to do

On Amazon.com <---Click Here

Free Photo Hosting!