Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 12-07-2005 , 10:49 AM

Maya Employment

Hello Everyone,

# 2 12-07-2005 , 11:03 AM
i am currently studying Product Design at University in the UK. As part of our course we use Maya 6 to help us design products, usually in the later stages of a project. I have also been to 3D in London (3 december) and have taken an interest in maybe furthering my maya knowledge and try to get employed as a maya product designer. I have 2years experience of using it now, but still concider myself as a bit of a novice. user added image If anyone knows of any contact i could just speak to about the topic and see if there are any possible career opportunities there.This would be a great help and much appreciated.

Regards Paul
:bow:

# 3 12-07-2005 , 09:17 PM
My advice is dont learn the software, learn the technique and artistic skill. Then, you can adapt to any package.

While many studios may allow you to use your software of choice, in this case Maya, some studios may only use another, like 3D Studio Max, Lightwave, Softimage, Cinema 4D, or even there own non-commercial software.

Wouldn't you hate it if you get a great job but you can only good work in Maya and you find they only use Max.

While we all have our preference and may get to use them in your jobs (i dont know how common this is) you could end up shooting yourself in the foot by being too attached to one package.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 12-07-2005 at 09:25 PM.
# 4 12-07-2005 , 11:54 PM
ok.thanks for your post. I agree. Dont become too attached to one program but is maya popular in design now adays? I have seen Nokia use it, but if there is only the experts who can get a job using Maya then i guess i have my work cut out. I have done animation modeling etc...but i know to work in the industry you need to be the 'bee's knees'. Do you know of any companies or consultancies that only want...well accept intermediete experience? ...so you can tune my knowledge. It seeems quite hard to establish yourself. Like most jobs, they ask for experience, but as most jobs ask for experience, but there are little wiliing to offer experince...if i am making sense....

# 5 12-07-2005 , 11:58 PM
As far as i know...nobody does appreterships in the uk....Even design itself, you need to go outside the UK to get a good placement before anyone will take you on. I was going to go to a consultancy in New york to work for 2-3 months but they said they wouldnt pay me as i am a student, and they felt that they were doing me a favour as i will gain experience. Obviously i refused as ther as many arnt many people who can afford to live abraod for a few months free lancing..... has anyone had the same experiences?:headbang:

# 6 13-07-2005 , 08:37 PM
I think Maya is genrally used more in the film industery and 3DS Max in the game industery. I'm unsure about design. If for example Lightwave is the norm in the design industery you might wanna look at expanding.

To gain experiance you could try paid or unpaid interships. Pixar for example offer these (Pixar also use Maya for modelling work and there own software for animation).

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 7 14-07-2005 , 11:32 AM
There are actually quite a few design companies which use maya for modeling. Obviously it is not the main section of design work. What they do nowadys is design for a client, and send them a maya model/render. If the client wants a few things changed its easily altered on the computer, opposed to a few year ago where countless models or prototypes where made from foam or other materials. As its so cost effective, alot of companies are using CAD.

# 8 14-07-2005 , 11:35 AM
I do worry about employment, because as i said i am in the last year of uni, and i will be in the big world soon. Alot of designers need to free lance to establish themselves and get at least a yrs experience. Obviously if you move away from home, rent and food will cost something, but no money coming in could prove a problem...hehe