Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 11-12-2006 , 07:38 AM

render problem

anyone have any idea why im getting these kinked edges around the arms? ive gone through the render setting but cant figure it out.

sorry about the larger picture, but at 640, you cant read anything.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 11-12-2006 , 09:13 AM
well... I can't really see what it is you're talking about (a closer in shot would have been better), but I can make a guess. If I'm wrong ignore this, and post a clarification of your question.

I think that what you're saying is that there apprears to be a sharp edge between the arms and rest of the body, even though/if the geometry is otherwise smooth. If this is the case, its an issue with the 'normals' which controls how light plays on the surface. This is easy to change. Click 'Edit Polygons -> Normals -> Soften/Harden'. The difference between hard and soft is this - if a sphere has 'soft' normals (towards 180), it will appear to be smooth, if it has 'hard' normals (towards 0), it will appear to be a segmented sphere. So, making those edges have 'softer' normals should fix your problem (That is, if that is your problem).

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 3 11-12-2006 , 10:48 AM
i had thought that might of been the problem too, but it didnt fix it. sorry the pic is hard to see, but its visible in the render right on the top of the arms, it almost appears to be an anti-aliasing problem, but those setting should be fine. its very strange

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 11-12-2006 , 03:09 PM
Update: ok so i changed the render from a still .iff to a psd. when i open it in photoshop, the strange kinking isnt there, and the edges appear to be smooth. but why would it look like that in maya? the zoom is set to 1.00

# 5 12-12-2006 , 04:11 AM
wow, this forum is really that dead huh?

# 6 13-12-2006 , 01:42 AM
forum's not that dead, it's just not a lot of people have opinions about what it could be besides the typical 'update your video card drivers', etc.

...which is what i'd suggest anyway, because if it appears ok in photoshop then maya's not rendering it incorrectly, it's just being displayed in fcheck improperly. to me that says either something wrong with maya itself (reinstall) or something with video card (update or reinstall drivers). other than that i got nothin.

Accept no substitutions.
# 7 13-12-2006 , 06:29 AM
well, thanks for the reply. it is strange though. ive found that if i dolly in one MMB to where the zoom is around .989, it appears to be fine, also if i dolly out once, it appears fine, and even then sometimes if i MMB back to zoom 1.000 it looks allright, but not when i press the 1:1 icon. strange, but i guess ill manage. hopefully i wont be working here much longer.

again, thanks for the help

# 8 23-12-2006 , 03:28 AM
yeah sounds like a zoom thing to me, I wouldn't trust fchecktoo much looking at an image in PS is the best way to check it.

Oh and I would render to tiff or tga unless you really want to render to psd. These are more accepted standards than the maya to psd format.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 9 23-12-2006 , 05:33 AM
its not a major problem it happened to me in school and its an isuue with the mac version but its not a real problem cause one you save out the image it doesnt show up. so its nothing to be worried about.