Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-07-2007 , 04:00 PM

From max to maya, very beginner!

Ok, in September I start college and we will be using Maya. The downside is I have been using Max for ~ 2 years on and off as a hobbyist. My problem is that the simplest things in Max can also be done in Maya but I don't know how.

1. In Max, when spline modelling or nurb modelling, when you create a spline or a cv curve and press enter, you complete it. But when you select it you can always edit it and add more detail to it or add more points. I don't know how to edit curves or add new points to ones in Maya.

2. In Max, when theres a loose edge or vertice sticking out from a polygon, you can delete it even if you lose a face. But in Maya, from what I understand, you can't delete certain vertices because of how many edges they're attached too. Eg. I highlight select a vertice, press backspace/delete, but it doesn't get deleted.

3. In Max, let's say I spline model a reqtangle, I then apply a modifier 'surface' which fills it and makes it a 2d shape. How would I go about maybe a nurb reqtangle, and making it a surface?

Please help me with these simple things user added image

I hate tutorials which are made for people who already know little things about Maya, I know nothing.

# 2 24-07-2007 , 11:38 PM
Subscriber
1. select the curve, right click your mouse and you will see some options pop up, here you want to select either vertices, vertexes or curve points (depending on the type of curve). You will then see small purple points, you can move these about to edit the shape of the curve.

2. You can either merge it to another nearby vertice and reposition it, or sometimes they can be deleted and it will make a 3 sided poly.

3. You could create a poly plane for a rectangle, or select one of the edges that make up the shape and select 'fill' from either the 'edit mesh' or 'mesh' drop down menus under the 'polygon' option set ( I think this would work, haven't got Maya open at moment but I'm pretty sure it's something along these lines).

I hope this helps you get started with Maya, I'm just learning Max after using Maya for about a year so I may need your help soon lol!!

Chris

# 3 25-07-2007 , 04:00 AM
Wow man, amazing help, I have just added points to my curve and extended it. And I'm getting the hang of the fill function for polygons :attn:

1. When I asked about creating a rectangle and making it a 2d shape, I knew about having to select edges and using the 'Mesh --> Fill Hole'. But what my problem is is that if I did happen to have a nurbs rectangle, what would I convert it to to be able to do this 'Fill Hole'? Because as of now I can only select vertices and points and not the edges.

2. Additionally to the editing of nurbs curves; I want to make a cage for a face I want to model. In Max, I would start to draw a spline and adjust the points as I would go. I would then draw another line from a point on the spline etc. This whole time it would still be part of 'line01'. When I try this method with Maya nurbs, I end up drawing separate lines which I can move freely, I don't want this. In Maya, do I have to draw lines separately and then attach them (if so, how?), or can I continue drawing from a curve after I press enter?

I hope you can answer this :headbang:

Thanks for your help Chris, I will help you with Max if you need it. But keep in mind I hardly know anything about animation, only modelling.

# 4 25-07-2007 , 07:03 AM
Subscriber
To do the 'fill hole' command you will need to convert your nurbs shape into a poly shape. You can do this by selecting the shape and then then selecting 'modify' > 'convert' > 'nurbs to polys'.

I am in a bit of a rush on other work at the mo so I shall try and help you out with your other problem when I get a chance.

Chris

# 5 27-07-2007 , 05:00 AM
Oh well thanks for the help, I really need it. If anyone else can answer my questions in more detail I'd appreciate it. Hmm, I have already discovered some cool things about maya, eg; in the split/cut face settings you can snap to 3 points along an edge.