Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-08-2007 , 01:33 AM
Subscriber

Help with Golf Ball Bump Map

Hi!

I saw an earlier post about creating a bump map to make a golf ball. I've tried it, however I can't get it right.

If I use planar mapping, it works from one angle. If I use spherical mapping,
the bump map is distorted so that the divets appear oval instead of circular and they pinch at the top and bottom of the sphere.

Do I need to go into the UV editor? Or is there an easy fix that I'm missing?

Thanks for any help!

# 2 02-08-2007 , 02:33 AM
I'm not completey sure about this, but can't you increase the number of times it repeats along either the U or V so they appear less spherical?

# 3 02-08-2007 , 02:55 AM
if you are looking for effect like this .. or simular

how i make it ... Creat Sphere and make Blinn material ..
go to my Hypershade ... make a shading network with Bump3D add Rock texture to my Bump3D like defult .. then connect my Bump3D to my Blinn material ... play with the values of the Bump3D and Rock texture to get the Golf ball effect ... thats the way i have in my mind of making it ... ofcourse you could go to Photoshop but it's longer process to snapshot it and draw it and add a filter .... i just find shading networks more easy to do user added image user added image

If is that what you looking for .... coz im not sure user added image

Attached Images
# 4 02-08-2007 , 04:19 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to upload images with my last post. I think these will make it more clear as to what I'm trying to make:

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 02-08-2007 , 06:09 PM
So it's just the ends that are really distorted? Have you tried selecting the few faces at the ends, then applying a planar map to them. It might then take a while to line up the texture with the rest

# 6 02-08-2007 , 07:46 PM
It does look like the uv's need to be adjusted.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!