Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 19-02-2006 , 02:11 AM

My Indoor Living Room

Hey guys, i was just wondering if you guys could give me some tips for my room, i cant seem to get my interior lighting right.

My Mental Ray rendering settings are

700 GI accuracy
default photons
400fg
1/3 AA
and Mitchell Filter

I have 1 point light and an spotlight light above the room, both are area lights and are shining through a skylight but this isnt looking too good.

specs for them are :

Point Light ---

intensity 0.1
everything off above the no decay box
RT shadows at 4/2
emitting 2000 Photons and 100000 GI
and the area light settings are 5/2.

The Spot light settings are an intensity of 5,
a quadratic decay rate,
20000 Photons, 100000 GI
and area light settings of 4/8

anyone have any help or ideas of how to make this scene come to life a bit more?

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-02-2006 , 02:43 AM
raise final gather to 1024, and add a pointlight(.2 intensity) above each couch, and one in the middle of the room, but with an intensity of 1, and quadratic decay

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 19-02-2006 , 04:07 AM
Cheers mate it looks alot better now, but theres something still not right. I guess it doesnt look as sharp as all the other renders i see of indoor situations. Is there anyway of achieveing that?

Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 19-02-2006 , 04:38 AM
sorry, i dont knowuser added image

www.joopson.com
# 5 19-02-2006 , 04:39 AM
if you send me the file, i can find a way, probably, than i can tell you what i did

www.joopson.com
# 6 19-02-2006 , 10:02 AM
Subscriber

# 7 19-02-2006 , 01:19 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Well its cool using mental ray, you need to understand light souces a bit more.

Overall you aren't doing this model any justice. Stop for a minute and have a think about whats missing...a strong light source from a window would do this shot the world of good, also a different camera angle and a reshuffle of the furniture. Its a bland looking image, its shot straight from the front making it flat.

Put a strong spotlight coming from one direction only which will then help to pick out the edges of objects, then use FG to help fill out the rest of the objects. Its not a case of being a Pro, its a case of looking and understanding whats around you. Practice on something as simple as a sphere with a spotlight with a hi intensity and another on lo, without the use of MR, move them around and even give them a diffent color for ambience etc.

The book Digital Lighting and Rendering by Jeremy Birn is a must have for understanding light concepts

Good luck
Jay

# 8 19-02-2006 , 01:44 PM
looks cool only the shadows on the wall are a bit weird user added image