Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 21-11-2005 , 09:04 AM

Steve the Snowman

Just finished him up. Comments, critiques? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

www.ahearnart.com
aim: kaltnue303

JOIN THE 3D USERS MYSPACE GROUP:
https://groups.myspace.com/3DNERDS
# 2 21-11-2005 , 11:18 AM
Subscriber
I really like it. Nice render too.

My only comment would be the join between the Base and the middle ball . . it looks too smooth and perfect. Having said that, I've never made a snow man so I could be talking complete crap user added image

Cheers
Paul

# 3 21-11-2005 , 02:39 PM
Simply Maya OG
Overall, looks pretty good. The snow textures look cool. Only thing that caught my attention, is his broom. It looks too fake. Especially compared to his arms. Both which are wood, the broom stick is too plain for wood. Other than that, I like. user added image

- Hybrid
# 4 21-11-2005 , 07:49 PM
nice one, i like it. Maybe put in some yellow snow to dirty it up user added image

# 5 21-11-2005 , 07:54 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LOL Yellow snow!! Quality!!

Hey cool stuff (pun not intended) More snow at the base of the snowman, and perhaps a particle render of some snow falling, or even quicker just comp some in PS!!

Nice image like it alot

Jay

# 6 21-11-2005 , 11:48 PM
Subscriber
I used to build a lot of snowmen as a kid, and while they weren't as fancy as this guy, it does strike me as a very lifelike snowman user added image

I'm not in any position to comment in any modeling technique--and it looks good to me, as far as I can tell--but the composition might benefit from some random snow located at the 'feet' of snowman, like.. leftovers, and signs of the kids (or big kids) who built it.

Though as a snowman on its own terms, it's a pretty damn good job user added image

# 7 22-11-2005 , 01:38 AM

updates

Thanks for all the helpful comments!

BMS-yah, i started off being lazy lol, but i now see the bottom and middle balls needed to be broken apart, thanks.

I-Iybrid - yes thats true, i added a solid fractal to dirty it up, and ramp on the broom bristles.

DJbLAZER-lol, yah i might do that as a joke sometime, maybe write merry xmas from brian as a christmas cd-card to my friends.

Jay, Kyraal - yah the enviornment still needs some work, i think ill add some paint fx snow into the scene. and the evidence of kids being around is a good idea, i might make a displacement of a kids boot in the the snow.

also, im going to add a pipe, i think thats a major thing he was missing, and ill put some pfx smoke coming outta it.

thanks !

Attached Thumbnails

www.ahearnart.com
aim: kaltnue303

JOIN THE 3D USERS MYSPACE GROUP:
https://groups.myspace.com/3DNERDS
# 8 22-11-2005 , 03:18 PM
Subscriber

Re: updates

Originally posted by bahearn81
DJbLAZER-lol, yah i might do that as a joke sometime, maybe write merry xmas from brian as a christmas cd-card to my friends.

That would be too cool user added image

I like the idea with the pipe and the falling snow too

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 9 24-11-2005 , 05:37 PM
good work there.... i like the texture you have for the snow.

i would also add snow to his hat, scarf, arms and brush as they are too 'clean' at the minute