Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 23-03-2007 , 11:28 AM

My Farrai

Its been a fun project thanks simply maya for a excellent tutorial, I Still wanna play around with it more, maybe stick some big guns and missile launcher on her make it more my own but for now here it is.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-03-2007 , 06:37 AM
Subscriber
nice

cant see any defects with the model but the paint is way too reflective for me

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 24-03-2007 , 11:13 AM
Nice "Farrai".

Yes, too reflective, and the reflections looks fake due to the scene environment being black.

# 4 24-03-2007 , 12:19 PM
Thanx guys for the feedback, I have been using maya for about eight months and this was my first project rendering with mental ray. I am gonna spend a few days getting to know the basics and give rendering it another go.

get good or cry trying

# 5 01-04-2007 , 09:54 PM
Subscriber
yeah nice job man, looks pretty sweet though i gotta agree with everything djblazer said about the crititism... other than that well done,

wow it seem there have been alot of people attemping to do this ferrari tutorial which have only started maya and used it for a couple of months...

# 6 01-04-2007 , 10:00 PM
Senior Software Developer
One more thing that no one has mentioned is Caustics, I can see the circles of the caustics being sent by the light(s). I would turn this off and just leave the HDRI to do it all. Maybe a single light to help out the illumination but thats it really. Use FG and GI and leave the caustics out.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 03-04-2007 , 04:14 PM

its goood...

hi there...
well i find the render really good and the reflection is coming very reasonable but i think thrs some problem with the samples under the car and somewhr near to it...it can be a problem of inadequate lighting or you can increase number of samples or play with filter.....it wont take much time in reder if u will only tweak the samples...

anyways it was a nice job to see...
thanx for it

regards
bhumit

# 8 04-04-2007 , 11:37 AM
Subscriber
"I can see the circles of the caustics being sent by the light(s). "

hey chris, what do you mean by that? always wondered when i hear it ... where abouts are the circles?

# 9 05-04-2007 , 08:58 AM
I think he is talking about the blobs of light under the door.

to the OP, it's a brilliant start. I found this when I started with Maya that first of all I thought about was modeling, but then you realise how much effort has to go into making the shaders, doing the lighting and then animating it. Each one takes alot of learning, particularly for complicated models.

# 10 05-04-2007 , 07:15 PM
I've circled what I mean...

Due to the model being a car, caustics really are not required.

Attached Thumbnails

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 11 06-04-2007 , 10:54 PM
Subscriber
ohh i see now ok, thanks for that user added image

soo when would you use caustics in a scene?

# 12 06-04-2007 , 11:28 PM

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 13 06-04-2007 , 11:39 PM
Subscriber
i see ... very interesting, what are some materials which would get you a plastic material render feel, been looking for a while now and seem to cant find anything,

# 14 07-04-2007 , 12:13 AM
Best effects can be achieved by Mental Ray Materials.

Try MR - Dielectric Material for glass, plastics etc.. and use dgs material for shiny metals.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 15 07-04-2007 , 12:36 PM
Subscriber
yea i think its really good. although is it just me or do these edges on these areas(picture) seem a bit off? I dont know if its how the real modena looks like or if its part of the reflection but just looked odd to me.
user added image

oh wait actually never mind. I looked closer at real modenas and they actually have it hard edged just like your model. sorry about that.

Last edited by danotronXX; 08-04-2007 at 03:58 PM.