Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-05-2007 , 03:21 PM
Subscriber

realistic womans head

For my first realistic head I think I did a pretty good job. I added a plain lambert just to see how it looked with some basic texture. I will be making a skin texture for the project at school.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-05-2007 , 03:33 PM
For a first realistic head model, you did alright. What method did you use to create it (patch modeling, splines, nurbs to poly to subd, box modeling)?

If you're going for a realistic look, after you get your skin texture, you might want to look into learning some subsurface scattering. I read through a tutorial on it once a while back and it didn't look to complicated. Mainly just a bunch of trial and error with settings. I've never done it so I can't offer any tips. KUTGW

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 10-05-2007 , 04:59 AM
It is really nice for a first go at head modelling. user added image

My first head was really emberassing...

If I remember it correctly this site contains some good tutorials that are pretty step-by-step on how to texture a human face.

https://www.johnson-mortimer.co.uk/oldtutorials.html

# 4 10-05-2007 , 05:19 AM
Subscriber
while I'm at it let me give credit to kenny cooperand trinity3d. I watched his tutorial and used his technique to build the face and I used the same reference images,except I used box modeling and he used poly to poly. Now I will distort it with texturing.

# 5 10-05-2007 , 05:23 AM
not too bad, you've got the volume in some areas pretty decently set but it really looks like you've not used references for the actual detail areas (eyes, nose, mouth, ears etc). As such it is really ambiguous as to the sex it is supposed to represent.
If you have the time you'll surprise yourself on how much you will pick up on doing a new version using reference images. It's all about learning and the more times you do something the more you will pick up and learn new things user added image
As one of the previous posts suggests, follow some of the head tutorials that you can find online. It'll get you thinking about the edgeloops (lines following the geometry of the underlying muscles in the face) and will help you learn more.

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net

Last edited by t1ck135; 10-05-2007 at 05:26 AM.
# 6 10-05-2007 , 05:54 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by t1ck135
not too bad, you've got the volume in some areas pretty decently set but it really looks like you've not used references for the actual detail areas (eyes, nose, mouth, ears etc). As such it is really ambiguous as to the sex it is supposed to represent.
If you have the time you'll surprise yourself on how much you will pick up on doing a new version using reference images. It's all about learning and the more times you do something the more you will pick up and learn new things user added image
As one of the previous posts suggests, follow some of the head tutorials that you can find online. It'll get you thinking about the edgeloops (lines following the geometry of the underlying muscles in the face) and will help you learn more.

Si

Thanks ticks. I have to admit I have bought a lot of books on human modeling when I first started 3d. I didn't catch on to character modeling so I never finished a project. My teacher told me to stick with environments in the beginning and learn prop modeling then come back to characters once I had a solid basis in that area. I did that and now I understand the tools in maya's interface and how to use them. I decided to try a realistic character because I could now understand what they were doing now.I actually did use reference images but I guess not as well as I could have, anyway practice makes perfect. Now that I see where my skills level is at now I practice harder, I feel like i'm on the cusp of becoming a great 3d artist. I don't know if you ever saw any environments I have posted but I have gotten good at those and now I am working on getting good at characters. I still have a lot to learn about texturing, lighting,and animation but I am getting their slowly but surely. Thanks everyone for your input.