Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 24-09-2007 , 12:59 PM

Animaiton Newbie

I've wanted to learn for a LONG time and now I want to learn more than ever but I am not sure exactly where to begin. I am using a student edition of Maya 8.5 and have messed with it enough to know how to make, scale, distort and skin basic 3-D shapes but I have no idea how to ever get started with the interface and move into modeling. Can someone give me an idea of the information I should research in order from complete noob to caharacter rigging?

Thanks
Sanctus
user added image

# 2 24-09-2007 , 01:38 PM
Subscriber
The free tuts on this site is a good start they helped me alot

# 3 24-09-2007 , 03:19 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Just start with the tutorials that pop up when you start maya, then look online for some basic tutorials(it doesn't matter what tutorial you pick as long it's a newbie tutorial)and just start from there.
I would suggest you start learning maya along the workflow;
modeling, shading, lighting etc.
good luck and welcomeuser added image

# 4 24-09-2007 , 03:46 PM
Thanks Bob and Mastone.

Does anyone have a certain place on the net they find to be more helpful than others?

# 5 24-09-2007 , 03:56 PM

Originally posted by SacntusMessor
Does anyone have a certain place on the net they find to be more helpful than others?

yeah, there's this little site called simply maya which is really helpful. user added image

As the others have said just start doing free tuts and you will begin to pick up the basics. It's also worth investing in some books or videos. I found the book Learning Maya Foundation pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Maya-...0809269&sr=8-2

# 6 24-09-2007 , 06:35 PM
Subscriber
Go to 3D-Palace.com and download the DREADNOUGHT video tutorial, it will teach you how to model a MECH, go to Video Tutorials and then click on MAYA, you can also download this set from the same place: Maya Box of Miscellany 1
Also, 3DBUZZ.com has some video tuts that will help for MAYA.
All free.