Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 03-12-2007 , 01:21 AM

Poly to Subdivision convert problem

Hi it's me again with another problem i'm sure you can help me with. I just made my poly dog and now i wanted to covert it into a subdivision but i always get an error.

[B]polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch 0 -aut off -maxPolyCount 1000 -maxEdgesPerVert 32 |polySurface8|polySurfaceShape11;
// Error: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv Node): One or more edges is nonmanifold.
// Nonmanifold geometry cannot be converted to a subdivision surface.
// To clean up nonmanifold edges, use Polygons->Cleanup with the nonmanifold option. //
// Error: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details. //
B]

someone knows what that should mean i already tired the clean up thing with the option: "Edges with zero lengh". I don't really know what's meand with "nonmanifold option" i come form austria and so my english isn't so good but I also didn't find a translation on the internet.
pls someone help me.

Red

what i forget to ask is: in the video tut he cleaqns everything up with merge vertices but that doesn't do anything so i just did everthing with merge to center. where could the problem with the vertices tool be?

Last edited by Red_Roxxor; 03-12-2007 at 01:24 AM.
# 2 03-12-2007 , 04:59 AM
Senior Software Developer
It seems to me that the way you have tackled the merge vertices is your problem.

It sounds like you still have 2 seperate peices of geometry merged, so until that is a single bit of geometry it cant be converted to Sub-D. Undo the Merge to Center and then go ack and merge each vert individually and try again.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 03-12-2007 , 01:36 PM
Sry I'm real maya noob this is my first modeling and so i really don't know what you wanted to tell me.
But i combined all pieces so i have one geometry.

# 4 03-12-2007 , 04:55 PM
Senior Software Developer
OK but these have to be knitted together using Merge Vertices...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 04-12-2007 , 08:00 PM
ok i solved the merge vertieces problem (i just had to raise the settings casue it didn't work with the defaults) but the other probem is still there nobody got an idea?

# 6 04-12-2007 , 08:55 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
When it tells you to open the scrip editor, you should open it, and it should tell you what the problem is.

What you will probably find has happened, is you've got a hole in your mesh that you haven't noticed.

Go to>> Mesh>> Cleanup>> and in the options window make sure "Nonmanifold Geometry" is checked.

Hit apply, and it should highlight the vertices's in the problem area.

You will probably have to manually fix the problem, weather you merge the problem verts, or have to delete them, depends on the problem.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"