Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 12-01-2009 , 08:46 AM

teaching myself

I think I may have posted before but Ive lurked for a very long time!
Ive downloaed the dog tutorial and started running it.
1st thing Ive noticed is that I don't have "Modelling" in the drop down menu thingy, but decided to continue anyway under animation. Got to the point where he says "if it doesnt show press 6" I pressed 6 and alas it still didnt show.

Ive got in mind that when I tried to teach myself from a book (Iintroducing Maya 8; 3d for beginners) it was also telling me to sue certain short-cut keys are go into such and such a menu, which wasn't working. This mixed with having a crap computer I quickly gave up.

Iam using 8.5....think this is the problem?

Also i think I may have to go back to the book as mouse wasnt really acting how I would expect it to. eg the rotating and zooming, i thought it would just be the centre button/scroll wheel.

/end ultimate noob.

ps I dont want to throw a hissy fit this time round and give up

edit: so i went back into it, to retry, and like the menu down the righ hand side has totally changed. How do I revert it back to the originial, and why did it change? Loads more tabs appeared and cycling through them I couldn't find one that looked like the originial one in the tutorial vid user added image

Last edited by roco5000; 12-01-2009 at 08:58 AM.
# 2 12-01-2009 , 08:57 AM
Jr.Who

# 3 12-01-2009 , 09:00 AM
cheers
looking into it the now.

# 4 12-01-2009 , 09:42 AM
Thats cleared some stuff up.
Also whats the equivalant of right clicking to bring up...uhm..well i didnt pick up on what menu it was.

# 5 12-01-2009 , 10:37 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by roco5000
Thats cleared some stuff up.
Also whats the equivalant of right clicking to bring up...uhm..well i didnt pick up on what menu it was.

The equivalent of right clicking? On what? What do you mean? user added image

# 6 12-01-2009 , 11:58 PM
in the video, about 5:18 in he say "right click and control vertex"

and when i do that nothing happens user added image

gonna go back in the now since iam more awake.

edit: dont it, its hold right click.

Are there any basic ass tutorials out there, one that will guide me through click by click? You know, saying now you need to press this button on the keyboard, one that boarders on patronising.

I'm trying to select points to move and adjust, got a couple but they were just flukey.

Last edited by roco5000; 13-01-2009 at 12:11 AM.
# 7 13-01-2009 , 12:11 AM
The Nurb Herd
hold down right click over the model?

# 8 13-01-2009 , 12:22 AM
i also think my maya is a bit ef-ed up user added image

like, creating a poly cube, you drag it out to the size you want. but the green square keeps "pinging" back to an other size.
you then do the same to make it 3d, same thing happens.

Zooming in and out also has the pinging effect, where you zoom in but it only hold for a fraction of a section before going back to what it was before.

Not really sure how to describe it if iam honest.

# 9 13-01-2009 , 12:27 AM
The Nurb Herd
most people turn off interactive creation

create>polygons (or nurbs) primitives > interactive creation
uncheck that right down at the bottom user added image

Last edited by honestdom; 13-01-2009 at 12:42 AM.
# 10 13-01-2009 , 01:22 AM
Jr.Who

i also think my maya is a bit ef-ed up user added image

like, creating a poly cube, you drag it out to the size you want. but the green square keeps "pinging" back to an other size.
you then do the same to make it 3d, same thing happens.

Zooming in and out also has the pinging effect, where you zoom in but it only hold for a fraction of a section before going back to what it was before.

Not really sure how to describe it if iam honest.

Sounds kinda like a hardware issue to me. You might wanna update your video card driver. What are your computer specs?

# 11 13-01-2009 , 04:54 AM
q9550
8gb of ram
8600GT
running xp 64bit.

Ive found minimizing then maximizing the window sorts it, but obvioulsy if theres a full time approach fix would prefer suggestions.

# 12 13-01-2009 , 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

q9550
8gb of ram
8600GT
running xp 64bit.

Ive found minimizing then maximizing the window sorts it, but obvioulsy if theres a full time approach fix would prefer suggestions.

Uh ohh, I gotta tell you, I had that same exact problem with XP 64, and yes minimizing/maximizing does offer temporary relief but I never found an actual solution for it and I've tried many. Your Maya install isn't messed up. After switching to vista, I never had that issue again.

- Genny
# 13 13-01-2009 , 05:44 AM
pffft,
I'm still not happy about Vista, kept giving me bluescreens and shizzle!

# 14 13-01-2009 , 06:10 PM
Subscriber
switch back to xp32bit, xp64bit has a big lack of support
vista blue screens are to do with your hardware, not the OS

alternatively just wait for windows 7 or get the beta version or waste your money on a mac

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 15 13-01-2009 , 06:43 PM
If your running 8 gigs then I wouldent go back to 32 bit, I would go Vista 64 tbh.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle