Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 03-12-2010 , 05:35 AM

Coca-Cola Bottle...

This is based on a tutorial I found at the autodesk community site.

user added image

Here is the UV layout, bump, and color (I built the label in PS)

user added image user added image user added image

To do:

- glass shader and cola inside materials
- make a procedural for the plastic red cap
- make an ao pass
- light it, render, composite it all

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 05-12-2010 at 12:19 AM.
# 2 03-12-2010 , 01:25 PM
The thin red line
Ive seen one where they used a deformer to create the base, Dont remember what deformer (old age)...........dave

# 3 03-12-2010 , 03:21 PM
I have just been interested in bump maps and displacement maps and examples for training recently, and it was an interesting shape and he provided the reference texture, so I tossed it together. I think mine came out better then the one in the tutorial anyways.

Now I just need to figure out how to set up a clear plastic material, add the label without it becoming transparent, model the soda inside and light it.

I did have to build the label in photoshop since the reference image was warped and had specular highlights on it. To be honest that took me longer then modeling the bottle. I think the model took a grand total of 5 minutes, well maybe 15 because I am a tweaker.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 03-12-2010 at 03:44 PM.
# 4 03-12-2010 , 03:23 PM
The thin red line
Sorry is that yours done...............dave

# 5 03-12-2010 , 03:27 PM
Yeah that is my model.

The texture around the coca-cola could have smaller dots but I was to lazy to tile the reference texture and then did not know how to use a mask to project them. I spent 30 minutes googling how to project over a mask, then said screw it and just warped the reference image until it fit so the dot pattern is too course.

The evenly spaced dots could be larger and less of them but once again I find the photoshop ui so tedious to use that I did not have the patients to go through and create them all over again. lol

Last edited by ctbram; 03-12-2010 at 03:33 PM.
# 6 03-12-2010 , 03:36 PM
The thin red line
Nice model ctbram
So you used a bump map that came out nice, have you got a wire shot please........dave

# 7 03-12-2010 , 03:58 PM
Here you go Dave.... The smooth is poly-preview (3-key requires maya 2008 or greater to render) which I believe is equivalent to a poly smooth with 2 levels of subdivision.

user added image

Last edited by ctbram; 03-12-2010 at 04:43 PM.