Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 23-07-2003 , 04:50 AM

vector rendering and textures <?>

Hello everyone!!

I am trying to do a simple vector animation of dice rolling, but the problem is when I try to render using maya 5 vector render, it will not render the texture.

I have two simple poly cubes which I have shaded and using a file texture that I did in Photoshop. The .tif pic is a simple black background with white dots for the dice (I know there is a special name for the dots on dice, but <?>) - anyway, like I say, the software render looks great, but no dots in the vector render...

Can I get this desired result?? Do I need to use a different workflow?? if so, please walk me through an alternate process to get a vector render of my dice for a flash movie... user added image

Thanks a Million

LYNX

# 2 23-07-2003 , 06:38 AM
Vampus
I can't help you on a render side of things, but aren't the dots on the dice called pips?

# 3 24-07-2003 , 03:49 AM
Simply Maya OG
I think you cant use any kind of texture(s) with Vector. They all have to be solid color shaders. But someone correct me if Im wrong.

- Hybrid
# 4 24-07-2003 , 04:27 AM
Subscriber
lynx, you can use textures except it is probaly not the best way to go. First to see the texture you must crank up the amount of faces on the surface and only the you may start to see something. I does not look great going the texture way with vector. below are some examples.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 24-07-2003 , 11:36 PM

got an idea

that im gonna try righ now...
Vector rendering depends on the shapes more than on colors...
Dunno exactly how displacement behaves on it but it might be worth putting the same texture in displacement (for the dice just blur the color file you have now a bit in photoshop )

# 6 25-07-2003 , 12:29 AM
I can't seem to get textures from a file to work with maya's (5.0) new vector render at all. user added image I have come to the conclusion that they are not supported by the vector render user added image but if some one could figure it out prove me wrong I think i would have to call off my Engagement user added image. (Just Kidding Lauren) user added image

Please check
My (old) website!
# 7 27-07-2003 , 01:56 AM
Subscriber
textures do render and in full color. The vector does not do bumps or displacements. To get the texture to render properly you mush crank up your poly divisions.