Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 16-09-2003 , 04:19 PM
Subscriber

lightning

Hey when i add lightning into this scene is just straight i wonder if i'm overlooking something trying to get the lightning to to hit the object before it rolls off the table. Any suggestions?

Attached Images
# 2 16-09-2003 , 04:23 PM
Subscriber

here is the scene file for lightning

fdfff

Attached Files
File Type: mb table.0005.mb (207.3 KB, 159 views)
# 3 16-09-2003 , 04:25 PM
Subscriber
I'm not quite sure i understand what your trying to do. can you go into more detail about what the light is supposed to do?

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 4 16-09-2003 , 04:36 PM
Subscriber

lightning

i want the lightning to strike the object before it rolls off the table but when i add lightning it's just a straight line doesn't look like a bolt just a line

# 5 16-09-2003 , 04:44 PM
Well, if I had to guess, here is a tip from the docs which might explain your problem:

To create lightning:
Add the objects to the scene that you want the lightning to extend between.
Select the objects you want the lightning to extend between.
By default, lightning will be created between all the selected objects. If you want to change the Lightning Creation Controls, see Setting lightning creation controls. The order of selection determines the direction of the lightning, depending on the Creation Option you selected.

Notice a trend? user added image

In order for lighning to be positioned with any kind of accuracy, you need to select 2 objects.
One for the start of the curve, and one for the end.

Make sense?

Lemme know if this helped at alluser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 6 16-09-2003 , 06:58 PM
Subscriber

okay

Hey rage i know how to create the lightning in a new scene it works fine. but when i add the rigid bodies and stuff it just creates a straight line and doesn't really move already tried tweaking the settings i think it has something to do with the rigid bodies??

# 7 17-09-2003 , 05:16 AM
DOH! sry.. my bad... forgot about the rigids...

Ok, not sure on this, but have you tried "parenting" one end of the lightning to the.... wait, your objects are still keyed to move right?

...dam..

Ok, well, if it is supposed to happen before they move, then maybe you could just make 2 locators for the lightning, and group one of the the locators to the falling object maybe?

hmmm... how about drawing a curve, and attaching a PFX lightning brush to it?

Dam, I'm kinda stumped here... very tired... will think on this, and check back in the AM... user added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 8 18-09-2003 , 01:57 AM
The Maya Mountain
If it's having problems striking the rigid body, perhaps create a cube or something that is parented to the rigid body and is invisible. Have the lightning strike it instead.