Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 19-12-2008 , 04:05 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

Elephanilla

Im gonna start making this, while trying to come up with short story ideas

user added image

Just one thing though, can you make this fun effect with maya fur?

# 2 19-12-2008 , 04:24 AM
That effect is texture based.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 3 19-12-2008 , 04:27 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
How? bump map? transparency map?

# 4 20-12-2008 , 01:46 PM
im thinking just a hell of a lot of single poly planes with transperancy maps

# 5 20-12-2008 , 02:37 PM
Subscriber
i think i have to disagree with you anasasis...
i think that would be a really expensive way of doing things in a game, although, i dont actually know the ability of the consoles these days....and what they can handle, so you could be right
maybe it was made from lots of little polys and then something like the transfer-maps or ultimapper (dunno the max equivalent is) was used to get the transparency maps.

i also think doing it that way is rather time consuming unless they had a script to do it for them

again i dont really know what constraints they were working in.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 21-12-2008 , 02:43 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
Looking in the viva pinata options it does look like its texture based, but how could you create that effect with textures? user added image

# 7 21-12-2008 , 03:23 AM
Subscriber
in your paint program create a square gradient and copy and paste it everywhere?
it could work...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 21-12-2008 , 04:40 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
the main thing i have a trouble is seeing how you could get the edges of the model right, because the flakes lift off

# 9 21-12-2008 , 05:27 AM
Subscriber
I would attempt what you're going for using this idea https://www.paultosca.com/varga_hair.html
it's a hair tutorial but it seems to me like you might be able to get the effect you're looking for using this idea.

Hope it helps.

# 10 21-12-2008 , 07:46 AM
You could also use fur and just change the attributes so that each fur is square shaped the way you want it to.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 11 21-12-2008 , 08:59 AM
make a patchy trans map, squars of white squares and black, put it on a layer node then ontop of it in the layer node attatch a ramp with, set the blending method to multiply on the layer node.

Make a sampler info node and attatch the facing ratio attribute to the v coord of the ramp. Edit the ramp so that it is transparent at the edges and solid in the centre. This should give the correct effect if im not mistaken, you want no interpolation between the gradient values.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 12 22-12-2008 , 03:24 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
Thanks everyone
I will try that LauriePriest (if i can follow it :p)

# 13 22-12-2008 , 04:11 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
really sorry but..
with the transparency map what to i set the colour to? (i cant help but think im doing something wrong.....)
i know thats not really clear but i cant think of a better way to say i have no idea what im doing....(i really need that rendering book (only 3 days to go!))
sorry

i really feel i should know more when ive been at this for so long.......

Last edited by elephantinc; 22-12-2008 at 04:23 AM.
# 14 23-12-2008 , 10:25 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
started blocking out
i know ive got creases and things but what do you think of the general shape? (do you think the ear is too tall?)

Attached Images
# 15 24-12-2008 , 07:40 AM
Yeah, not bad and I do agree with you about the ear being too tall. In the top picture, the top edge of the ear and the bottom edge are not too far off from being parallel. Also, the body looks a little long compared to the reference image. Hard to tell though because of the angle of the reference image.

Looks like your project is going to turn out quite well.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!