Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 17-06-2004 , 05:21 AM

New Video

Hey
I finished this music video - created in Maya and Flash. It is a little over compressed for the net but it is 3 minute long and if I did not compress it hard, it would be a huge files size.
it is 4 MB.

https://www.winteractiv.com/videojames.html

Would love to hear your comments on it
Cheers
user added image user added image user added image

<font size=3 face=arial color=blue>S U R F E R M C D </font><br>
<font size=2 face=arial color=blue>www.winteractiv.com</font>
# 2 17-06-2004 , 07:08 AM
Subscriber
Wow thats really cool, I like how it switches between normal and wireframe. Good Job!!

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 3 17-06-2004 , 02:34 PM
Subscriber
I absolutely love the video. Great work dude! user added image

# 4 17-06-2004 , 03:17 PM
GREAT WORK!!! Really nice animation there! user added image

-------------------------------------------
# 5 01-07-2004 , 08:19 AM
That is a pretty amazing video. Love the look of it. I could easily see this(the character and the style) becoming something bigger. I loved the wire frame stuff but found my self widhing you would've stayed with just the rendered style because it looked so good.

I want to see more of this world!

Two Thumbs Up!!!

# 6 01-07-2004 , 09:51 AM
Subscriber
It looks great! How long did it take you?

# 7 01-07-2004 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
very impressive! nice job!

# 8 01-07-2004 , 11:10 PM
Hey WOW!

Thanks for the really great feedback. I was not expecting such positive comments.
The animation took about 12 weeks from beginning to end and was part of my study. I found the modeling took quite a bit to get right bec I have not used Maya properly before. (Although I have used Truespace a few years back.) Most of what I learnt I got from 3D buzz and here. I am glad you like it and I will be doing more so I will post it. Might try the competition this month hee hee!
user added image user added image

# 9 02-07-2004 , 07:11 AM
Subscriber
well...I figure your ready to do the comp. goodluck with thatone user added image

# 10 23-07-2004 , 11:11 AM
user added image wow great song great video great everything.......why isn't this in the charts already user added image
Pity we can't have the 100meg version

Whos the musical artist and name of the song?

Last edited by Aphex; 23-07-2004 at 11:22 AM.
# 11 25-07-2004 , 10:18 PM
Technical Director
How did you make it switch between wire, and shaded? Or was it just an animated texture?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 12 26-07-2004 , 12:10 AM
Hi and thanks for your feedback. It is really awesome to get some strong ideas and questions. Cool!
The artist is James Maxwell and the song is called “Race Along”. He is an awesome guy and has the weirdest little songs mostly done on an acoustic guitar. He is looking to get signed to a record label so I made this video for him so he could get some exposure. They actually played it on our local Music TV channel (late at night tho) Buzz to see it on TV. If you like the song, (some people hate it heh heh!) let me know and I will load it onto the web to be downloaded and I will post the link.
How did I switch between full shaded and wireframe? I wish I could say it was an animated texture but to be honest, I have not figured out how to do that yet. (I just figured out that you render as an image sequence not an AVI after looking through this site Duh!) I am still learning Maya and it is HUGE!
What I did was do a complete, fully shaded render, I then created a playblast at roughly the same resolution in wireframe after turning off all of the Heads Up display items and light – camera visibility in the viewer window etc. I them imported the playblast into after effects and changed the levels and inverted the colours to get the white wireframe on a black background. I turned the layer mode into screen and suddenly the black was transparent leaving the white wireframe as an overlay. I know after effects waaay better than maya so most of the stuff that I do is all smoke and mirrors. I hope that answers your questions.
Cheers

# 13 26-07-2004 , 01:01 AM
yes we would love a copy of the whole thing......i've already played that link about 10 times so far user added image

# 14 28-07-2004 , 01:53 AM
I have tried to upload the mp3 to a geocities site but it will not let you download it for some naff reason. I will try to upload the MP3 to my own site tomorrow and let you know if it is successfull altho I have linited space.
Cheers!!

# 15 28-07-2004 , 11:33 AM
That'd be great surf.....if ya super imposed some titles at the end of you the graphic artist and the musical artist......it would get ya some exposure out there user added image