Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 26-10-2005 , 09:24 PM
Subscriber

First work

# 2 27-10-2005 , 03:36 PM
Fluids are diffecult to wrap your brain around but it looks like you're off to a good start. Keep up the good work!

# 3 28-10-2005 , 12:38 PM
Subscriber

thanks

thanks, ive used realflows fluids alot in the past and things are similar as in settings and what not but you have way better control then real flow for sure.

# 4 28-10-2005 , 12:54 PM
I hate to pimp my work on your thread but if you want to see some my fluid simulations go here

And if you think fluids are cool, try using fluids to control particles! Now THAT is cool. You can make the particles move in really cool ways.

# 5 28-10-2005 , 07:03 PM
Hello Vellusion,

Nice work !

Is it possible to post a scene file of the meteor , like promised a little earlier in the Special effects forum ? (it does not have to be the final, tweaked version...just a file to start with will be very welcome)

Many thanks,

al

# 6 29-10-2005 , 12:01 AM
Man, I forgot all about that.... Sorry.

Here is a scene file for the meteor as it flies into the mountain. It's for Maya 7 but I think you can down convert it some how (I don't know how). The file has the meteor, the explosion and the shockwave. I turned down the resolution on the fluids so it won't choke your computer if it doesn't have enough memory. When you play the scene, if the explosion acts wierd, turn the resolution of the fluid container up (double, if I remember correctly). The Meteor resolution needs to be turned up to 3 or 4 times. I think the shock wave resolution needs to be turned up 3 or 4 times as well. Also, for some reason, there are a bunch of things in the Outliner that don't look too familiar to me.

anyway, have fun playing with it.

meteor impact

# 7 29-10-2005 , 11:34 AM
Hello Velusion,

many thanks for the maya scene file about the meteor impact. Great study material !

I looked at your multimedia files ( which are great by the way...), and came across the Lava movie.

Is the lava also made with maya fluids, and if so how do you get the black spots in the lava and the collision with the pilars ?

Again, many thanks for the maya meteor scene...,

greetings,

al

# 8 29-10-2005 , 02:25 PM
Alex,

Yes, the lava is a fluid simulation. Here's how it works:

I set up a 3D fluid container with an emitter. Then I set up the floor and the pillars.

To make the fluid collide with the floor and the pillars you just have to choose the fluid container and the geometry that you want the fluid to collide with (floor and pillars) then go to the fluid effects menu at the top of the screen, open it and choose Make Collide.

The "trick" to making the fluid into lava has to do with the incandescence settings and the color settings and also the texturing. Play with them and you'll see what I mean. I will tell you this though. In the case of the lava, think of the incandescence as being how hot the lava is. The lava is giving off light because it is so hot but as it cools down, it doesn't give off any more light and you can see the cool (black) lava floating on the surface.. How does the fluid know how lava cools down. In this case it doesn't BUT since I applied the incandescence using the Y gradient input, it just makes the lava start to "cool down" in the Y direction (up).

Here is the scene file for you to play with. It was created in Maya 6.5 .

lava

Like I said, if you want to understand better, play around with the texture settings and the color ramps for incandescence and color.

Last edited by Velusion; 29-10-2005 at 04:53 PM.
# 9 29-10-2005 , 02:59 PM
Subscriber

um

hey guys, i understand that you guys have another thread for that could you please post your stuff there? id really like to keep my thread just for c&cs for my fluid stuff. btw i got it looking like chocolate finaly but i have a question. At say frame 100 can i get the liquid to just stop pouring?

# 10 29-10-2005 , 05:03 PM
Sorry, Shandaman.

When you say "stop pouring" do you mean you want it to freeze in mid air or do you just want to stop it like turning off the kitchen sink?

To turn off the fluid so that it doesn't make any more just click on the fluid emitter then, in the attribute editor, go to Fluid Attributes and set the Density/Voxel/Sec to 0 . This will turn off the fluid so that no more will be emitted. You could start at frame 1 and set the Density/Voxel/Sec to 1 (or more) then later on use keyframes to turn it to 0.

If you want the fluid to freeze then you could turn it off as I just explained but, at the same time, change the bouyancy to 0 and change the viscosity to 1 or higher. 0 bouyancy will cause the fluid to not go up or down. Raising the viscosity will cause the fluid to be so thick that it won't be able to move unless turbulence or wind or some other field is really forcing it to.

I hope this helps.

# 11 29-10-2005 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber
thanks, ill give that a try monday woot!!!

# 12 31-10-2005 , 04:34 PM
Subscriber
ok, i got that to work thanks but now i cant render it. nothing comes up when i render its just pure black.

# 13 31-10-2005 , 05:01 PM
I can't imagine why.

Maybe you're rendering from a camera that isn't pointing at the fluid user added image

# 14 31-10-2005 , 06:03 PM
Subscriber

well

well i am rendering from camera 1 and i set my perspective view to that camera by going to panels.

# 15 31-10-2005 , 06:43 PM
Maybe the fluid is black. An easy way to find out is to choose your camera then, in the attribute editor, go to environment and set the color to something other than black then render.