Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 30-10-2008 , 08:22 AM
Subscriber

Shinou gundam

I thought i'd add a bit of difference to this place with a NON-car thread, and do a particle+model+texture thread

I dont speak japanese and i don't know the difference between some characters so the name of this model is probably wrong

anyway, im gonna try digitally preserve this fellow (along with all the other models i have) since some day someone is going to tell me to grow up and chuck out my past
which at that point i'll become a bitter old man pushing trolleys because i forgot what fun is because old people who have fun are looked down upon

the model has no legs, so i'm going to give him legs and more points of articulation. currently the feet are attached to his body

he's not very exciting, he only has two forms, one with armour one without armour, but he has a massive gun

Attached Thumbnails

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 30-10-2008 at 08:30 AM.
# 2 30-10-2008 , 08:27 AM
Subscriber
i'm actually going to concentrate on the guy's massive gun for now
this model is actually really quite boring, he has little in the way of armour unlike the others

but i'm going to concentrate on the gun
what i want at the end of this is to have an animation where particles are attracted tot he gold shiny plate thingys you see there
and then it fires

so i figure particles should be able to do this

also, if i attract particles to an object do i need millions of particle emitters? or can i just have a particle emitter go in reverse?
or should i just turn the shiny gold plate things into particle emitters and play it in reverse?

i very crudely drew lines on the picture of the gun
the yellow lines around the gold plates are meant to be lines of light being attracted to the plates

the yellow at the end there is just light being built up there...

kind of a stereotypical effect you see everywhere but meh... particles should be fun

Attached Images

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 3 30-10-2008 , 09:11 AM
The Nurb Herd
Cool, i love Gundam. I used to live in Japan so if you need help translating stuff, my japanese is not amazing but its better than nothing.

。。。がんばてカイロヌさん!!!

# 4 30-10-2008 , 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
Chibi Gundam thats different. You probably could draw up some particle and use the gold plates as goals.

- Genny
# 5 30-10-2008 , 09:17 AM
Subscriber
great! you can see his name in katakana in blue there at the bottom of the box above the kanji.

whoa.. that is weird....

in the thread i dont see your message in japanese but when i reply i do :p

"...good-luck/do-your-best Chiromu-san!!" :attn:

# 6 30-10-2008 , 12:05 PM
i think this effect will need a little bit effort in compositing in order to get the particles shape at the similar to the actual gun ... go on .:bandit:

You Deserve
# 7 30-10-2008 , 01:24 PM
Subscriber
Gect: i think i need to understand more about particle emitters... i only know how to make them emmit from a source... i didn't know you could give them a goal :nod:

zico: i know you can change the shape of particles to models you have already constructed, what should happen when the particles reach the panels is that the panels start to glow
this will need to have some compositing work on it which means render layers i must have user added image
but, i know about this funky blackhole material now that i didn't know before, and that will be useful

ok, so here's the first part
gun shape got blocked out and i drew the parts on with edges and totally destroyed any topology user added image

i found that i have a few 5-edge faces and verts wtih five faces and so maya can't figure out the edge loops, which for something as blocky like this i think it shoudl be able to do

so i'm going to have to work on the topolgy

also, in this screen shot i bring your attention to the firing part of the gun

the gun has three circles as part of it's design (not to mention that the jutted out part at the back is meant to be smooth and round which i'm only partially getting...) and i'm not too sure of how to hand that
circled in red is what i have so far, i tried to trace along the edges and i have 5sided faces and faces that don't belong to any aparent loop...

whats a good way of sticking a cirle into a block?

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 30-10-2008 , 07:10 PM
The front bit looks a bit messey, get rid of some of the loops, and the "random" edges.

I would boolian a cylinder in there with enough divisions so you get a nice smooth and a decent looping structure thats even

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 30-10-2008 , 11:39 PM
Never use booleans.

Do make a perfect hole:

Make a cylinder with 8 sides and place the bottom on the plane where the hole should be.

Now use the split polygon tool to "draw" a 8 sided circle.

Snap all vertices so that they are exactly the same as the cylinders.

Clean up and delete the plane in the circle.

Remember that the vertices in the circle only should connect to ONE other vertex.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 30-10-2008 , 11:50 PM
Suppose what I should have said is make a boolian then snap and merge verts, essentially DJ, the boolian is doing the "drawing" for you in this case, then do the clean up on it.

Probably one of the only times I would use a boolian tbh.

# 11 31-10-2008 , 09:50 AM
Subscriber
well, what DJ has depicted there is the technique i used

but the reason why the front is so messed up at the moment is because i was also drawing on the decoration part....

maybe i should leave that to texture and displacement mapping?
the bumps and curves are pretty shallow so i think maybe i should just leave it to displacement mapping...

i've very crudely coloured the model to show you what it's meant to look like since you probably wont see the lines on the plastic

although i think the lines are just there so hobbyists know where to actually paint...

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 31-10-2008 , 03:03 PM
Youve got too many edges in the circle, which is making it look messey and too dence at those parts.

# 13 03-11-2008 , 02:08 AM
Subscriber
i got carried away and UV'd and textured and bumped this thing.....

i know i should wait until the rest of it is modelled....

Attached Thumbnails

# 14 03-11-2008 , 07:00 AM
Subscriber
i'll fix that up later...

here's a part of the gold panel thingy

i've probably broken every rule just to make this thing
i'll probably bake it as a normal map later on just so the piece is made of quads....

one issue making the diamonds though... since they aren't whole diamonds i'm going to recreate the middle part so all the edges raise consistently...

actually, since everything is hard surfaces and there wont be any deforming is keeping to quads actually necessary?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chirone; 03-11-2008 at 07:39 AM.
# 15 03-11-2008 , 08:22 AM
If you're not going to deform it or smooth it - no, not really. Although to achieve realistic results you really need to model it so you can smooth it.